48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weerier breathes!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Weerier breathes! Empty The Weerier breathes!

Post  Dennman Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:30 am

After 2 years of sittin neglected in the shed,I finally found a couple hours to clear a path and move the Weerier out to it's summer spot.
Installed the battery that's been on a tricle charger just as long and it fired up with no problems.The gas has been sittin in it that long too.
Forgot about the possible oil sumping until it hapened. By the time I found the pan for just that scenario ,it had quit. 1/2 cup of oil maybe.
Now on to all those changes,repairs and cleanin that need to be done.
Already fixed my ground cable cutoff that gave me probs on the Duffy lake road a few years back.Just a loose 11/16 nut on the switch in the custom box under the battery..Not an easy roadside fix unless one had thought ahead and run a parallel non-switched cable,as I had.
done.
Now just cleanin off surface rust,oil and road grime in prep for rear wheel change and new to the Weerier 10" rotor Y-brake support.
On a final note: Thank you Sunny for that scissor jack stand that is makin this recovery so easy.
Dennman
Dennman

Big Dave likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Weerier breathes! Empty Re: The Weerier breathes!

Post  sunnydog Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am

good to hear you're workin on the Shovel Denn.

How bout some pics when ya gots time!
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Well here's a wee peak at the changes.

First up :
 The Weerier up on the jack outside in the summer tent.The Weerier breathes! Under_10

Next:
 Off with the worn out,dirty tire and rim. Transfer the sprocket over to the clean rim with a new tire.
The Weerier breathes! The_ne10
That sprocket just flopped off of the old hub.It was a snug fit onto the shiny hub.The brake disc however is about 0.020 under the min. 0.205 allowable thickness.I've run that same disc since '82.I'll be contactin my local go to shop to see if he has a 10" disc from a North American supplier or at least a good seviceable used one.

I'll be bidein my time, til that issue is resolved, with more cleanin,wirin glitch on my front starter button,oil and brake fluid changin and brake Y-bracket fitment.

Til the next Weerier up date, ya'll stay safe out there!!
Dennman
Dennman

sunnydog and Big Dave like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:35 am

Picked up a few parts at Jack's motorcycle shop Friday.Haven't been there since I bought the new rear tire that I'm installing now.It's been a couple years.
Walk in with my Covid mask on and Jack shouts,"Someone's here to rob the place." I whip out and brandish my travel hand sanitizer and reply,"Hands up everone." Few chuckles there.
Got most of what I was lookin for :- new o-ring chain and 2 sets of banana brake pads.
- ordered a new 10" brake disc and 51 tooth sprocket
- couple other things ,front brake reservoir lid gaskets and the rear Y bracket to frame brace. I found those on his parts wall while I waited. He went to his warehouse to check on a couple Shovelheads that he just bought to part out.No luck on the 10" disc.
So it's back to cleanin and removing the rear caliper to enlarge an already drilled hole for the Y support pin. Suppose to be some kind of nylon sleeve for the pin but they're hard to find.I believe these 10" Ys were only a 1 year use. Might have to allow for a bushing when I drill.Will see when I get it all apart on the bench.
That's it for now.
Dennman
Dennman

sunnydog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:15 am

hope you get her rippin soon. weather is perfect for riding right about now.
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 am

If all goes well in the go-back-together then I do believe there maybe just one illegal smile ride around the neighbourhood to make sure all is well with the changed rear brake setup.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:07 pm

hopefully it don't cost very much and it lasts a long while...Wink
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:24 pm

My indy loves a cash purchase.$13 off on the last few bits and not havin ridden since 2018 ,the smile should last for some time if all goes well.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:24 pm

have you heard that the Hammerman has transferred thru a rip in the space/time continuum and now has an Evo bagger?? I think an '86
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:27 am

I hadn't heard that. I had suspicions .I had read a post where he was inquiring about one. Just another 2020 screwed up happening. Hope the motor has been upgraded before his acquisition.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:36 pm

Got the front brakes bled with new fluid,pads and master cylinder cover gasket.
Drilled out the rear banana caliper for the Y bracket.Just enlarged the 3'8" hole that was used for a support spring.A little emery cloth hone on the new 1/2 " hole and the caliper fits the Y bracket just fine.
Spent some time doing a kerosene wash on the drive chain.It's a riveted master link so the cleaning was done on the scoot.I'm surprised how tight, yet flexible,the links are on that chain. I bought a new chain but now I think I'll run the old one until I get real energetic and do a total primary and tranny main seal overhaul.That leaky seal makes a mess of the left rear of the scoot but apparently it's been beneficial for chain life.
The chain guard has a few cracks around the back mounting bolt hole. I'll be doin a Dennman typical repair.I'll fab a couple thicker 1/8" plates and sandwich the cracks between them.No way for me to weld it so I'll be screwing the plates on with the mountin bolt hole drilled through.I did a similar repair using thinner,1/16" stainless plates a few years ago.One of those plates broke where I bent it to fit in the guard's long oval recess.No bends this time.
I'll post a pic of the Y bracket/banana setup and the fixed chain guard when I get it done and lookin good.
Waitin on my disc and another 51 tooth sprocket.Indy Jack says delivery could be anywhere from 5 days to 6 mos. Five days are past so I'm hopin it doesn't take 6 mos. Guess thee Virus plus being old Shovel parts has slowed down production.
Worse scenario is that I run the old parts that have served me well for years. I won' be doin a long haul for awhile so they'll be good for at least a test ride on the rear brake mods.
Dennman
Dennman

Big Dave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:29 am

good to hear yer slavin on them brake cylinders...ooh bad pun.
it's great therapy tho!

Dowg
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:08 am

Still waitin on parts.Been workin on the chain guard.
The Weerier breathes! Mlna0012

The Weerier breathes! Mlna0010
Cuttin,bendin,filin,drillin,primein and paintin some metal pieces salvaged from a reclinin love seat mechanism.
The Weerier breathes! Mlna0014

Here's the rear brake caliper all cleaned up with new pads and the Y bracket for a 10" disc.The lower left hole on the caliper is the one that I drilled out to 1/2".It took just a wee bit of emery cloth honein to get the bracket to fit.The Weerier breathes! Mlna0015

I have a few more pics of primed and painted parts to upload yet. Assembly has been a tad hard on the paintwork but I expected that.I wanted all parts painted before assembly to deter any rust development down the road.I've run out of stainless hardware to finish the assembly so until a trip to town is necessary ,the completion and final paint is put off.

On to a few other small but annoyin repairs, to my security lock pouch and handle bar starter button,in the meantime.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Lookin good. So you are grafting those two pieces into your chain guard?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am

sunnydog wrote:Lookin good.  So you are grafting those two pieces into your chain guard?  

Well not exactly grafted.More like cobbled.Got some supplies yesterday and finished the assembly.
The Weerier breathes! 11-cha10
The 4 empty small holes in the plate are not needed here and were used in the recliner mechanism.
The Weerier breathes! 12-cha10
The stainless pieces in the next 2 pics are from a previous crack repair.I repositioned them here for a wee extra reinforcin.
The Weerier breathes! 13-ins10
The 2 reversed screw heads had to be doctored to allow the swingarm tab to sit against the guard reinforcing plate.
The Weerier breathes! 14-ins10

Now just a final paint layer to cover some of the assembly scratches and it'll be ready for attachin.

Now on to the electrical starter button failure. In the process of hunting down a circuit breaker triggerin short in the button circuit, I have now added the short to my signal lights wirin.
I see gas tank removal and serious head scratchin in my future.The tank mount components probably need some attention anyway and I'm still waiting on the disc and sprocket.
Bought new bolts and nuts for those yesterday but somewhere I screwed up the size so I have to buy another set. I later discovered that the bolt holes in the disc are smaller than the hub so that must be where I erred.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:34 am

lookin good, that'll get you down the road. I foresee getting the Cherrybomb up on the lift this fall for some much needed love too...been using her like a pickup truck and she's been dependable as an old draft horse, but she needs a good going-thru to fix up a bunch of small stuff that's nagging. Damn Shovels are such a great bike, they'll just keep going and going.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:10 am

Still waitin on brake disc & sprocket parts.
Cleaned up and regreased my rear chain tensioner assembly.
Did a cleanup and oil change in the primary case.Amazin that the primary chain needed no adjusting to the tension and the drained oil wasn't too bad for metal particles.
Still have to change engine and tranny oil .That'll be a chore now with the cooler temps and heavier viscosity fluids.Can't wait for the parts so I could do a warm up run around the neighbourhood.
HEAVY rain yesterday ran me out of the outsite shelter.Didn't take long for the floor to be awash with a few streams.
Still have some front end cleanin to do then a bit of touch up paint and waxin for the tins.
Hopin the next post will be a report on the shakedown cruise.
Dennman
Dennman

sunnydog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 pm

well seeing as it's just us chickens on this forum anymore...godspeed with the shakedown run, I hope the rain abates.
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:38 pm

The sprocket and disc are at the shop.Got the call today.The shop is on reduced hours so Tuesday will be the pickup day.
Little disappointed that the disc is only available drilled.Haven't had good results with drilled in the past.The holes are not usually offset on different radiuses leaving bands with no holes.
It is what it is.
Now I'm hoping the assembly goes fairly smoothly and that the caliper will sit centered on the disc.
Suppose to get some nice "summer" weather next week.Optimum for a wee shakedown run.
Should be good enough to get that 60W plus Lucas additive to flow a bit better for the oil change.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Got my disc and sprocket today. Didn't get a chance to work on the scoot today.Had alot of shoppin runaround on my way to get the parts. Get home and Bren's tearing the house apart. She calls it redecoratin and I had to dismantle her throwouts.....couch and entertainment stand. That's the only way that I can handle gettin them to the dump.Tomorrow I'm plannin on gettin that wheel and brake assembly back on the scoot and ready to go.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:39 am

Made some progress yesterday.
Mounted the new disc.The Weerier breathes! 17_new10

Mounted the wheel and Y-bracket.The bracket took some doin as I'd forgot a few sequential assembly bits to get the brace attached to the caliper when the bracket is on the scoot.
The Weerier breathes! 18a-pr10
The Weerier breathes! 18b-pr10

Changed out the master fluid with fresh Dot5. in prep for connecting the caliper to the brake line. I remembered that I have to attach the caliper to the line before I install it on the Y. The end of the line doesn't have a turnin end so the caliper has to be spun onto it.

Today:
Still have to make sure the caliper lines up to the disc before all tightenin of parts.I have one small washer/spacer from the banana setup that may have to be put in on the caliper side to line up the Y.
I must not forget to lube the pad and caliper pins with never seize before the final button-up and fluid bleed..
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Looks good Denn. You gonna get out for a rip soon?
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:09 am

Managed to mount all the brake parts without too much trouble.I added the spacer/washer from the old setup to fill a gap between the swing arm and Y. Didn't want any undue tension when torquin the axle nut.
The Weerier breathes! 19a-fi10
The Weerier breathes! 19c-fi10
Bleedin the caliper was easier than anticipated. It appears to work smoothly.

Bit of a struggle gettin the chainguard back on.Had to shim behind the front bolt mount due to the increased width of the repair plate. Old fat arthritic fingers don't fit in tight spaces anymore.
url=https://servimg.com/view/17892982/590]The Weerier breathes! 20a-re10[/url]

Now to add a bit of gas and wait for the old friend, livin in the front yard, to move the crap from her old deck outa the path to the road.
I'll sneak the Weerier out for a short neighbourhood run and see if all brake systems are stop.Maybe today.Just noticed the plate.No insurance for 2 years.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I'll never tell on ya. Hope the skeedaddle is fun...
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Still a pile of rotten pallets and wood on the exit path so I gave the scoot's shinies some Autosol shine and waxed the tins.Some of that road dirt and bugs on the aluminum and chrome for a couple years was not good for the surfaces. Doesn't really bother me that much.Function over looks prevails.Found more tight spots that my fat fingers no longer fit in.
Buffin tins tomorrow and I'll move that pile if it's still there.
Dennman
Dennman

sunnydog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:54 am

So.......?
How was the ride? What a Face
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:56 pm

The ride didn't go well.It didn't happen due to unforeseen but not uncommon circumstances. Apparently Bren's hidden todo list had items on it for me to resolve.

Did find enough time to drain ,kerosene flush and refill the trans with my 80/90W and Lucas additive elixir.
I was surprised to see that the drained oil was still quite clear and particle clear.

I still have to install the battery and covers. Hopin that doesn't reveal any wiring glitches. I've made a couple changes to wire routing.  

Today I have to assemble Bren's birthday present for tomorrow. It's a kitchen step stool in a flat box. this should be fun! Also have some apples that need transfer to a box to be ready for slicin and preservin.

Debatin weather to get 3 mos. insurance on the scoot. There's always some nice fall weather for a cool putt.

Well the battery install wasn't a smoooth one. Broke the end of my cell phone charger ground.Some clearance problems at the +terminal.Idiot neutral light not workin and the rewired starter button is a no go. QWho knows what else with show up when the vibratin starts.

Won't get much done tomorrow.Trip to town for Birthday cakes.At least the kitchen step stool assembly went fairly well.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:23 pm

well shee-it ain't that always the way?
I hope you get at her soon.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Well at some point ,I ran the battery down.Guess I left the headlight on and didn't notice. Just hope the coil didn't burn up. It took the better part of a day to charge it back up to full capacity.
Got my dash lights working dependably.
Today I bought a new starter button.This one has a rubber shield. Pissin rain today so just not in the mood to hang outside in the damp.
Shoppin today for turkey and fixins. Horses need doubled duty with the rain. Time was short for changin the switch. My hands don't like this cooler damp weather. Gonna have to wait for dryer weather.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:02 pm

Still haven't got back to the scoot to iron out the wiring glitch. Not lookin good for gettin that done soon.All the summer outside habitat needs to be dismantled and stored away.Figure I'll at least try to get time to drain the oil bag.I can pump fresh oil through the lines without runnin the engine. It won't be an optimum job but it'll be better than old oil sittin in there any longer.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am

yep we supposed to get more snow here today so that's another nail in the riding season coffin! Fuck my hat.
Oh well the lord hates a coward maybe I'll just ride anyway.
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am

I may get to a quick warm-up ride yet.Another week of sunny skies forecast.If I can get all the paraphernalia packed away ,I might get the time to warm the oil,change it and put the Weerier back in the shed til next year. Was time ,back when I was in my 40s that I road year round. Snow too. Tires back then could handle it.Last time that I tried about 20 yrs. ago,in my 50s a 1/4 " had me stranded at work.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:27 am

Sounds like a plan...
I lived in Vancouver for a few years when I was going to forestry school.  All I had for transport was my motorbike and I rode it right thru the "winter".  I think the first year I was there we had some sleet and a dusting of snow a couple days.  I recall catching a ride back to Dunbar with a school chum one day when it snowed lol.  Damn I miss those days (not the snow!).  No responsibilities other than picking up my end of field assignments and getting to the pub....oh and showing up for ping-pong challenges in the cafeteria.
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Got most of the outside living equipment stashed away.One very large tarp to pull down and one glass top table to put away.
Finally I pulled Chengdave's custom oil bucket plug and drained the dirty dark syrup.Fairly warm out today.Pleasantly surprised to not see any metal particles of note on the magnet in the plug. I'll let it drip overnight then give the bucket a kerosene flush.Then it'll be to fill the bucket , pull the return line and crank over the engine til fresh new oil comes out the hose.
Then back to seeing if I can get the electrics to work the way that I want.

Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Outside gear packin done.Any spare time now will be used to cut the seasoned firewood stack to 7"-8" lengths.
Got the tank drained and flushed.
I have some calculating to do to get the oil mix that I want to run. The Lucas oil stabilizer is added at 20% of the volume of the 4 quarts of 60W. I usually get enough left over after fill-up for a liter of "on the road oil"
Had a visit from 3 members of the Bar Hoppers last Sun. T'was good to see the fellas and get to chat scooters and ridin. Some much needed influence to get my scoot roadworthy.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:34 am

Still tryin to find some times to work on the scoot. Mixed up some 60W and Lucas additive.Got it sittin near the woodstove to keep it at room temperature and somewhat fluid.
Got my electrics figured.Bought the new rubber covered push switch and installed it. Didn't work either.Seems my custom ignition cutoff switch had the old and new push button on the wrong terminal.
Now just need some time when the sun is shinin and it's above 10C to add the oil and flush the last old oil out of the hoses.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:48 am

Got the oil in and flushed the lines.Bit of a fire up problem due to a malfunctionin Super B carb pump.Got it fixed and ran the scoot til fresh oil came through the return-to-tank hose.
Ready to road test when time and weather are cooperative.
Dennman
Dennman

sunnydog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:36 pm

have fun, it seems there's too much ice and snow here to ride now.
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:12 pm

We are experiencing heavy rain,some snow with thunder and misty pissin rain when not those.Looks like It'll be at least a week before this large batch of storms pass.
We use to do a New Years Day ride, many years ago, to a fairly close bar . Could be a possibility there,excludin the bar, if I can't get it together before then.Good way to start a different year.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Tried a few times to get the scoot out but the cold clear weather days were too much for the Weerier to spin over in the thick oil.Ran the battery down a couple times doing that.Fires up fairly quickly on mild pissy days.
Now an old knee injury, from a kicker failure in Creston back in '96, has reared up and I don't trust it to hold the scoot up if I had an unforeseen complication on a shakedown run.
It's gettin to the point that I'll need to attack my stack of fir firewood. The route to the processin chopsaw that I use, to get the wood down to 7"-8" size for the woodstove, runs through the hut that the Weerier is in.
Also I'm losin the ability to do strenuous activity.Shortness of breath has been gradually increasin to the point where I only feel "normal" if I don't exert myself. Wheelin 3 bales of hay in a wheelbarrow is the most difficult. I've had pains and irritations for quite awhile that I thought were just resultin from an old herniated disc flareup, dealin with a load of really dusty hay and just gettin to the 70+ age.
Hell ova time to try and find a new Doc (mine retired) and see WTF is goin on. Haven't been sick much in my life so this is a tad distressin and depressin at times.
Got a feelin that 2021 isn't goin to be an improvement over 2020.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next