48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got Boxed this A.M.!!

+3
Roadhammer
Big Dave
Dennman
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty I got Boxed this A.M.!!

Post  Dennman Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 am

Just stepped out the door and FEDEX was cruisin the neighbourhood obviously hunting for an address.
I had a premonition .Could it be?
It was for ME!!
A wooden 147 lb. crate!
Loaded into a wheelbarrow and sittin in front of my shop now.
Chores first, breky and out to unload , uncrate and behold the new birth of the Weerier's heart.
Gonna be busy now.
Pics to follow.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Re: I got Boxed this A.M.!!

Post  Big Dave Tue May 31, 2016 12:34 pm

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Smile

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Tue May 31, 2016 12:34 pm

Yea, Coop wanted to surprise ya,, sounds like it worked, now get to work and well see ya at Toad!

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:13 am

Took me longer to uncrate the Shovel than it took to get it in the frame.
Great travel container , Coop! Made it without any movement.
Had a bit of a SHIT! moment when I broke off a standoff threaded stud in the cam cover.
Luckily could get a small vice-grip on the stub and get it out . Chased the threads and they were fulla some kinda shit. Got new standoffs so only a minor delay there.
Full steam ahead tomorrow.
Just got to the point where I'd done enough for today and jmac and friends from down the road stopped in with beers.H
Helluva good day here.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Progress pics.

Post  Dennman Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:20 pm

The box that I received.147 lbs. of goodness. cheers
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 8-147_10

First peak inside.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 9-the_10

Saran Wrapped for Shovel protection.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 10-sit10

Muscled onto the Bench.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 11-on_10

More piston and bore protection.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 12-pro10

Shiny insides.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 13-shi10
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 14-shi10

Back in it's home.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 15-reu10

Bolted down with the primary and it's new complete clutch parts.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 16-all10

Back at it tomorrow and add more pieces.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Well SHIT! The old gray matter ain't what it use to be.

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Today was going to be a totally assembled engine.  Very Happy
OK ,putting the heads on a S&S big bore with the barrels already bolted down to the cases.  scratch
Anyone see a problem?  Arrow

Well there's two head bolts that HAVE to go into the barrels when the barrels are bolted down to the cases. I should have sent them to Coop to set in place when he bolted on the jugs.
I have to lift both barrels 1/4"- 3/8" to get the bolts in. The base gaskets have a sealer (hylomar  type ?) on them and I don't know what's gonna happen to them if I lift the barrels. I'm not equipped with tools and spare gaskets or confident enough, to pull the barrels all the way off, if the gaskets get buggered.

I did this once before but the gasket were James beaded and no sealer so it was just the small lift.

Too pissed at my stupid lapse in thinking to do anymore today.  Mad
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty the head bolts

Post  coopsta Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Den, that hylomar never really gets hard per say.......I wouldn't be to worried about lifting the jugs up a touch to sneak them fuckers in there. Rock them a bit and they should pull right up. Worst case scenario you get a hose clamp and a piece of shim stock at the hardware store and you can get the pistons back in the barrels as long as you have an extra set of hands to assist. I just made a flywheel locking tool so I didn't have to have someone assist.

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks Coop, I was going to call after chores and see if that sealer would tear the gaskets. I've heard that Hylomar doesn't get hard but I just wasn't sure. Luckily the first head bolt that I tried was one of the pre-barrel fit ones. Woulda been really pissed off if I'd got a few in and then discovered my lapse of memory. I'd be lookin in the far dark corners of the shop for that head bolt.
Tomorrow will be a fresh start.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 pm

It should be ok,,no heat has got it yet,,should lift off and regoop together,,,if a guy was stuck and it was mine, id put a stud in the heads that need it and a good nut,,
nice to see yer mill home amigo,,,
cheers coop!!
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:07 am

Now there's an idea that I didn't think of, Koot . I'll file that.
I thought of cutting 3/8" off two of the S&S head bolts. That didn't stay long in my head. Coulda gone searchin for my old stock head bolts and tried that.
Good to have some options just in case if it doesn't look like it'll go as intended.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Too Easy!

Post  Dennman Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:44 pm

So The head bolt install was a piece of cake. Once I had the two base nuts off the bolts slid right in. A problem with the one between the barrels and at the back of the front jug.
Took a look with a mirror and there was some damage done to the flat surface that the head bolts tightens to. Half of it is chamfered. Almost looks like drill bit damage or too small a nut was torqued down on it. Had to take a small file to it to remove the burrs obstructing the hole.
Did a torque sequence with increased ft/lb  for 3 go rounds.
On the last go round while tightening that bolt in the filed hole I snapped my 5/16" Proto dogbone. Tried checking how tight it was and broke a 5/16"-3/8' boxend combo wrench.
Apparently the headbolt is binding on that buggered surface.
Hopefully it's fully torqued.
Progress pics.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! Heads_10
I got Boxed this A.M.!! Primar10
The frustrating assembly is over and it's on to the small bits and bobs.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 pm

looking good man looking good!!!
if I wasn't such a lazy fucker id show some pics of the new build I'm workin on..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:53 pm

kootenai wrote:looking good man looking good!!!
if I wasn't such a lazy fucker id show some pics of the new build I'm workin on..

Get that Prospect to hack your account here and post some pics.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Weerier Getting Dressed.

Post  Dennman Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:06 pm

Carb, pushrods, exhaust, coil and left floorboard installed.
Had to do some muffler polishin and floorboard rubber regluin.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 20-pus10
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 19-coi10

Had the mousetrap workin good yesterday but today it`s not going back all the way to rest.
Maybe later tonight I`ll take a look and see what`s up. Probably bent the rod abit, when torquein the heads on, and it`s rubbin somewhere.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Lookin Like Her Old Self Again.

Post  Dennman Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Needed a wee bit of extra room to get the brake pedal assembly on and working, sooooooo, out came the big ballpeen and a 2lb. sledge. Voila!  Very Happy  Room now!
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 23-fro10

Then the right floorboard and finally the tanks.  cheers
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 24-tan10

Added some fresh oil and a filter.
Just gotta wait for the battery to get back up to full power ( tender got unplugged in the last few days) and get the timing set up.
Need some good gas.

Time to clear the front of the shop and roll the Weerier out to it's summer home for heat cyclin.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Way to go Denn...looking good!, got mine back together yesterday, still have to do some wiring and then off for inspection.

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Roadhammer wrote:Way to go Denn...looking good!, got mine back together yesterday, still have to do some wiring and then off for inspection.
Well done, Hammer. cheers
You did a quick restore on the scoot.
How 's the body....yours?
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Outa the Shop and Into the Hut!

Post  Dennman Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:27 pm

After a few tries and finally the removal of the right floorboard, I got the Weerier outa the shop.
I shoulda left that floorboard off. I'd just put it on for a pic with the battery and air cleaner on.

I got Boxed this A.M.!! 26-bat10

Proceeded to set the points gap and timing. Added gas and did my usual pre-start ritual.
So after many kicks , with both legs , and a redo of the carb pump actuator , she came to life.
The e-start is still balky. Did get it to start once that way but it was sluggish.

So as it was coolin down I walked around lookin for leaks or anything I'd missed.
Got down to check the rear brake pads and WTF.
Two patches of threads showing on the rear tire.

One across from the hut pole and a larger one below.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 27b-sm10
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 27a-ti10

Need a new one. I'd looked at it in the shop last fall and I remember thinkin that I'd get a summer out of it. The scoot must have been sitting on the wear patch.
Tomorrow a tire hunt and pick up a torque adapter (dogbone) to check head bolts
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Retired Today !

Post  Dennman Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:24 am

As it sat this morning.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 27d-ti10

The new tire was in stock and got a deal with a set of brake pads and a tube thrown in.Mounted and out the door in less than an hour.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 27ea-c10

Sittin pretty at 6:00.
I got Boxed this A.M.!! 27f-re10

Trying to find a torque adapter was a different experience.

The first automotive supply had no clue. "With 30 yrs. in the automotive business neither the boss or I have ever seen one"  (NAPA Shocked) WTF!

Next place had a clue what I had; but, no source in their stock of suppliers. (LORDCO Shocked )They did point me to a local store and another in Campbell river that dealt in PROTO tools.

Stopped at an independent tool supplier on the way by, to the recommended store, and although they had some neat specialty tools---no dogbones.

X-town to the recommended Hartman's. Local supplier of PROTO tools. Got a young kid on the counter. This should be interesting. "Can I help you?"  I place my broken tool on the counter. He says, "A broken torque adapter." cheers  First fella that I've talk to that knew exactly what it was. Looks it up and yeah it's available.  bounce   IF, you can wait a month for it or spend $350+ on the complete set (be there Sat.).  Neutral   I just need the single. How much?  If cheap enough I'll get 2. It's $37.25 with tax. Rolling Eyes Paid up front for this special order.

So on the way home I stop in Canuck Tire. Still had to replace the broken 7/16" x 3/8"combo box end that I broke and needed lithium batteries for my camera. Knew they had no torque adapters but found a set of 7 Mastercraft box end combos for $24. Nice lookin/feelin wrenches and the are 2 with a 7/16" end. Unfortunately they don't fit onto my head bolts without some grindin.

Tomorrow will be a frustrating day tryin to check torque since there's no fuckin way to use my torque wrench.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

If I was home I'd have mailed you mine, but I'm not Sad
Acklands-Grainger can get them for 44.00 'plus' tax so you got a good price at least.
Think I got mine from someone on the Forum a few years ago for 18 or 20 bucks.

Cheaper to find an old 3/8 drive socket (any size) and have someone weld a stub of a 7/16 closed wrench on the side of it.
Grind the end of the wrench to fit.
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:26 pm

The 2 that I have (3/8" X 7/16" and 9/16") both came from the US site. Fella up in Alaska (Snowdog?)sent them to me quite a few years back since he had extras. Got them for $0. Now that I know what they're worth ,I'm sorry that I didn't send a token of my appreciation along with my thanks.
Gonna be awkward tryin to check all the bolts. Some are easy but the short adapter was less frustratin.
8:30 pm---As expected that was an exercise in frustration. It's as good as it gonna get. Maybe 80% of ideal.
And now my computer is freezing up constantly. Mad

Thurs. Morn. Fuckin Windows 10 locked up my computer.Bren's was too but she got hers bsck up to speed.Finally found the path to reinstall Windows 7 Twisted Evil within their 1 month time frame to do so.it seems to be workin like it should now. cheers

Fired up the scoot again last night.All ready to roll.Cleaned and lubed chain.Changed the brake fluid for back break.Pedal was stickin down. Better now but needs a little road wear action to loosen the bushings.
Looks like a new battery is needed .Holds a good 12=V charge but drops down to far for the E-start.
Pickin up insurance today,so road testin is in the schedule.Weather looks iffy; but, I won't be venturin too far until all systems are tickety-boo.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:39 pm

I know its early but how does she sound , been a long time since shes had even lungs Smile

Dave

Last edited by Big Dave on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Yup ! She sounds. Once it got up to temp and I reset the idle, it humps along just fine.The e-start needs some attention but it kick starts easy.Neighbour brought over his battery out of his '09 HD.Traded the bike off and didn't need it.Reads good on the meter .Jumped the Weerier but still the E-start won't turn it over.Tomorrow i'll do a little trouble shooting.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:17 pm

how many miles on the starter den?,,mabey it needs a cleaning and a re,cut of the mica,,on the armature..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Dennman wrote:Yup ! She sounds. Once it got up to temp and I reset the idle, it humps along just fine.The e-start needs some attention but it kick starts easy.Neighbour brought over his battery out of his '09 HD.Traded the bike off and didn't need it.Reads good on the meter .Jumped the Weerier but still the E-start won't turn it over.Tomorrow i'll do a little trouble shooting.

LOL I edited mine Embarassed

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 pm

kootenai wrote:how many miles on the starter den?,,mabey it needs a cleaning and a re,cut of the mica,,on the armature..
I don't think the starter's the problem.Will be checkin all the parts from the switch on through.
No problem now starting with the kicker;but, when fully loaded, the side stand tends to bend up.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty So?

Post  coopsta Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Have you got that bitch running down the road yet and how is it running so far.

That shipping came to 136.00.

Last edited by coopsta on Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cause)
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:06 am

coopsta wrote:Have you got that bitch running down the road yet and how is it running so far.

That shipping came to 136.00.  
Haven't made it to the road yet.Spent the day (rainy) tryin to figure the e-start problem.No feckin luck.Changed solenoid,tried a different battery,checked wires to and from battery and solenoid.
Looks like it'll be a summer of kickin.
That's not bad for shippin from Brooks.

PM me your info again.I think I burnt the paper that I had it on.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:46 pm

The cold cranking of my old battery was nil apparently.
In my diagnosis procedure of checking wires and switches,I managed to pinch a main power wire to the dash switch.
New battery today sure pointed out the short. Shocked
I ran a new dash power wire after I figured which one it was on the dash switch.I wasn't about to cut into my tape wrapped harness to trace it.Easier to do with the battery grounded.It be the one on the switch with the snappin spark. Laughing
The starter's still a little hesitant but does roll it over and fire the scoot.The bikes good to go .
Now if these freekin heavy rains would just quit,I can get in some miles.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:41 pm

were getting our rain too,,,it even snowed on the highway between radium and invermere.....WTF
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Watt thee fark

Post  coopsta Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:10 pm

It's dry as a popcorn fart over yonder boyz. Well get some rain so we can have a campfire in a couple weeks
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Riddle Me This Shovelers?

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Well it was a SUNNY sunny  morn.Took the Weerier out for a wee road test of the shiftin and brakein setups.
Shiftin was perfect.
Brakein needs some more pad seatin before it'll be good for packin a load.Decided to add another mile or two ta seat those pads.
Headed home when ---------------------------dies.
Got gas ----coil not hot---got spark at points when opened---Points plate tight--- no wirein pinched.
Whatdyathink it was?

Noticed the points weren't open on the cam bumps.Go to reset the gap.Packin just a 1/2" X 9/16" wrench and a shitty little foldin plier/knife/flashlite/screwdiver combo.Screwdriver is too small for points screw and slides out and bumps the cam.
It moves. Shocked
The 9/16" center bolt was loose.Tighten with my only wrench and good ta go  cheers 1 mile home.
Now it's raining again.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 pm

nice fresh mill you can travel lighter this year,,less parts to pack..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 pm

kootenai wrote:nice fresh mill you can travel lighter this year,,less parts to pack..
Most of what I pack is for my own personal comfort.
Not much for the mill.Other wearing parts are covered.

And it's still raining!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:36 pm

How's the old girl feel so far?
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:05 pm

i haven't had her over 30 mph yet.Pulls strong and runs good when the sparkin parts are tight.
Lites up fairly easy with the kicker.Once I find the precise combo,it'll be all good.
Tomorrow's suppose to be a sunny day ,so i'll get some good miles on it.
All my tools are on board now.That'll insure there's no problems at all. Very Happy
Did ya see my post asking for your info to get you the shippin $$s?
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:53 am

Ya I will go to the bank this morning and find out what the numbers are. Well that's all good news to hear so far.

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Den I PM'd you the inflammation for bank shit.

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:29 pm

coopsta wrote:Den I PM'd you the inflammation for bank shit.  

Coop
On here?
E-mail?
I seeeee nothing........... very secretive.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I got Boxed this A.M.!! Empty Secret secret

Post  coopsta Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 pm

Well I resent the PM and sent it to your email so I don't know maybe it's coming pony express rather than information super hi way lol.

Coop.
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum