48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And it begins.

+7
Shakerattlenroll
h.d.ryder
kootenai
jmac
Big Dave
sunnydog
Dennman
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And it begins. Empty And it begins.

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Been dreading this redo for a few years now.That damn deer made it a necessity now.I remember the pain of getting it all spaced and assembled years ago.Got all the spacing for the windshield/wind delectors and lights recorded now.Got a few more brackets bent that I didn't notice before.Gonna be a busy winter.And it begins. Start_10
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Re: And it begins.

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:56 am

Godspeed with your project Denn, hope ya get into it and hit that zone where you can extract some enjoyment from the process...that meditative state Idea 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:56 am

Btw I think the batwing'll look killer on there
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 am

we will be able to pick each others grey matter , im sure ill have lots of questions .

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 am

sunnydog wrote:Godspeed with your project Denn, hope ya get into it and hit that zone where you can extract some enjoyment from the process...that meditative state Idea 
Meditative state..ah yes! When I finally get contorted, between the scoot and the shelving,to work on the clutch and realize I don't have the tools I need.Cursing and grunting as I try to crawl back out on my toes and elbows.
Gotta redo my rear chain idler and swap rubber on the rear wheel.getting the wheel off is always a joy.
Front work won't be too bad.Lotsa room there.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:21 am

sunnydog wrote:Btw I think the batwing'll look killer on there
After I finally get it painted ,I'll get it positioned where I want it.Then,in order to get the scoot outa the shed, I'll have to remove it and reinstall in the yard.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:22 am

Big Dave wrote:we will be able to pick each others grey matter , im sure ill have lots of questions .

Dave
Pick away.I'll be here.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Straightenin and Patchin

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Forgot how complicated the wiring to the spots and signals is that I have on there.They came off a later evo ,I believe.Just getting the spots and signals off the brackets requires a headlight removal and plastic multi connectors pulled apart.Labelled all wires beforehand.Even then the spot connectors have to have the plastic end removed to get the wire through the hollow mounting stud and harness sheathing.I have a set of shovel spots now,courtesy of Alex in Greenwood,to put on.The plug-in ends are a different size so I'm hopein that I can get the ends of the others off without distorting them.
 Working on straightening and reinforcing the cracked wind deflectors.Gotta make a run to town for more stainless #6 phillips and nylocs.
 Spot brackets need a wee tweak too.Tryin not to bugger the chrome too badly. Usein a heavy rubber "Gray' mallet w/ a block of nylon as an anvil.The worst one turned out not too bad.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Fuckin' electricity is the devil, but apparently its useful!!
Ever thought of mounting a machine gun on the prow to mow down the bambi's as they appear in the shooting gallery/visual frame?
I wired in my signals yesterday, went and got the wife to show-off that I actually wired something myself...when she came to the garage I hit the left signal button and the right signal came on...oh well comme ci, comme ca... scratch
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Just change the bulbs left to right .That should fix it.  Very Happy 

Machine gun...? With my luck I'd drop the bambi dead in front of me and I'd be airborn.Did that once on a speed bump doin ~45.

Twas night and I was in a hurry to get home.Hot chick was comin over for some post bar activity.It was all cool as hell watching the big spray of sparks below me til I realized it was the scoot below me and I was sailing along with it about 5 ft. in the air.And then I landed ....one knee bounce and I was standin lookin back at the scoot on it's side doin the slowest idle that i've ever heard. Stood it up ,jump on ......no shifter or headlight..No problem...Checked around for bits and pieces.Maglight in the mouth,throttle up,jam it into first and shift on the fly.Came back the next day to check out my flight path and for anything I'd missed in the dark.

Don't really want the experience again.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Salvaging HD crimp on connector.

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

I knew it would be finacky but Hey Zeus Crisp!!! Shocked 

The spot lights both go into a male plastic quick connect that plugs into one hooked to the panel under the nacelle.

I managed to get the crimp on the wire cover open but the one on the wire was just too tight.Managed to spread it and scrape out as much copper wire as I could.The shovel spots have a thicker lead than the fubared ones.Jammed the new spot wire into the spreaded crimp and soldered it.I don't have too much faith in it holding.If it fails I'll just make up my own 2-1 quick connector.

The HD ones are just too neat and compact otherwise I'd just clip them off and find something suitable.

Last edited by Dennman on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:39 pm

fuck around fuck around pretty soon you'll SEE around...that's my light wiring motto!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Sloggin Through the Spaghetti!

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Got the spots and signals back on the brackets.Had to cut a slot, for the wire to hang out, in a deep socket (used a 14 mm) in order to tighten the nyloc holdin the spot to the bracket.Got the nacelle off after disconnecting the spot switch and its indicator lamp.
 Realized  Idea  that I'll have to unplug all the wiring behind the nacelle in order to service the neck bearings. Rolling Eyes Now that could be a real chore/headache w/ all those little spade connectors in the terminal block.Always manage to break one off no matter how careful I am.At least I have all the wires coded, w/ tape, as to where they go in the different circuits of the block.
 Think I can get away with just unboltin the handlebar clamp from the top tree.Then pad the tanks and lay the bars back there.
 Tomorrow!  bounce
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:49 am

Yeah dealing w everything in the nacelle is fun times...I've had my bars off 5 or 6 times in the last couple years and it's tricky just to get at them riser bolts inside there...think I'll prolly make a special wrench next time I do that....yep I just lay the bars on the tank too, apes are actually nice in this situation cause most everything hangs down and out of the way!
Labelling everything is smart. My wiring inside nacelle is a real snarl, troubleshooting is tough...I've spent a lot of time chasing issues in there, it's like Pandora's box.
Just think, the RoadSlayer will be tiptop for spring riding soon....then what are ya gonna work on?? study 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm

sunnydog wrote:Just think, the RoadSlayer will be tiptop for spring riding soon....then what are ya gonna work on?? study 
After the front end I have an issue w/ the rear head.The back two head bolts will not hold torque.Wonderin if that spun wrist pin at the end of last year let the piston come high enough to pull those two head inserts.Fought it all last year.Bike would start to backfire at low RPM/speed.Knew it was time to tighten those bolts again.Finally ended up changin the intermediate jet from the 29.5 to a 31.Then it would be alright for a longer period of time before tightenin again.

Hope they're not but if so, i'll be putting my stock rear head on that has been reworked for the B cam and big bore barrels.Ran that way a couple years ago only it was the front head on my previous set of S&S super stock heads.Didn't have any noticable difference in performance.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty PullBack Bars

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Whale Oil Beef Hooked!

And it begins. Stripp12

And it begins. Stripp13

All my wire tags have seen some road dirt and weather.Had to pull the wires one by one and relabel.

And it begins. Stripp10

Took me most of the afternoon to do it.Once the sun went down ,it got COLD.Rushed to finish labellin and get the bars laid back.Earlier I put foam water pipe insulation on them to try and save some tank paint damage.

And it begins. Stripp11

Tomorrow................SPROING!!! Exclamation  Exclamation affraid
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty FUN Fun

Post  jmac Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm

I,m working on a little chopper doing the wireing..So it can pass the BC inspection.Can,t post pic,s I mounted a blue hybeem indacater lite in the head light bucket then took a skull nut and bored out the thread,s drilled the eye,s out and glued it over the lite look,s fucken cool .jmac

jmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:23 pm

jmac wrote:I,m working on a little chopper doing the wireing..So it can pass the BC inspection.Can,t post pic,s I mounted a blue hybeem indacater lite in the head light bucket then took a skull nut and bored out the thread,s drilled the eye,s out and glued it over the lite look,s fucken cool .jmac
Sounds cool jmac.Is that one of those skulls like the licence plate mountin ones?

And yer slippin or you're no longer confused.  confused
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 am

Lol yeah Jmac where's that famous confused icon?

Damn Dennman that's a snarl of wiring... sunny 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty icon

Post  jmac Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 am

I,m confused really:scratch: jmac

jmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 am

sunnydog wrote:Lol yeah Jmac where's that famous confused icon?

Damn Dennman that's a snarl of wiring... sunny 
As I was pullin it apart ,I had flashbacks of putting all the wires in that terminal block.Can't just take one sub-harness (ie right/left bar or main to switch and rear lights) and plug it in then move to the next sub.Ya gotta work your way across the bottom and then up row after row.Otherwise the wires get in the way of reading which circuit is which on the block.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 am

I have one favorite thing about wiring projects.....
THE END of the job!! And I'm usually lookin about like this in a dark garage What a Face 

sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 pm

sunnydog wrote:I have one favorite thing about wiring projects.....
THE END of the job!!  And I'm usually lookin about like this in a dark garage What a Face 

afro                          

^
 Better that than this  ^^^   or afro  in the light.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:29 pm

sometimes it goes..Very Happy Shocked Suspect cheers What a Face Mad drunken Sleep 
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 pm

kootenai wrote:sometimes it goes..Very Happy Shocked Suspect cheers What a Face Mad drunken Sleep 
That's a typical day round here Koot geek 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Fellin the Trees

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Fuckin Computer ate my Status update.

So Drained legs.Got almost 20 Oz. so didn't loose much.
Dropped the tubes w/ sliders after pullin off the Fender.My last JB weld glue in bolt was TIGHT.Left some good JB threads in the leg. Idea 

Pulled the trees and checked the bearing races.Visible bearing wear in both Races.The bottom has some odd wear on the top front of the race.Marks similar to the others but heavier and they don't cross the total width of the race surface.Could be from the deer slam.

Top Race

And it begins. Upper_11

Bottom Race

And it begins. Bottom11

These have been in since 2008 so approx. 25,000+ mi. and a deer. Top bearing is Mexican and the bottom is possibly Japanese.Bought a set one time and they were mixed,so this could be them.
Notice the holes under the inner race edges.There are 2 in each cup to facilitate removing the races w/ a punch.Drift out the cups and then punch out the races
Will be lookin for 2 sets in town.Hope I get a matched set this time.

As it sits now.

And it begins. Stripp14
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Out to the Races!

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Found a little time today to drift out the neck cups.To drive out the races I had to make up a punch to fit the holes in the cups.A few taps side to side, using a 1 1/4 " socket as an anvil, and the races popped out.Now to get that bottom bearing off the spindle.Tried a small bent chisel but not much success.Will get out the dremel and cut the bugger to get a slot to spred it and then pop it off .

Edit to add:Surprise,surprise surprise!! The bottom race was American made so the bearing probably is too.That one has probably been on there even longer than the top.

Last edited by Dennman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Damn that's alotta work eh?? Making progress though...so how much damage from the deer impact?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm

sunnydog wrote:Damn that's alotta work eh??  Making progress though...so how much damage from the deer impact?
Front end: Dinted -fender
                         -cowbell
                         -Right tank,twoney size
                         -braided front brake line flattened 1/2 way by tank pinch
                         -left spot lamp and broke off
                         -windshield pushed back and brackets tweeked
         Stripped out-fender bolt holes in legs
         Road rashed-front master cylinder
                         -hand clutch bracket & cable
                         -windshield brace bolts
                         -crash bars
                         -floorboards
                         -front bumper rubber and tip
Rear end:Road rashed-tour pack top right corner/edge
                             -right saddlebag small puncture
                             -all bag rail acorns ground to hex heads
                             -front bag rail brackets bent outa shape w/ resulting offset to one side of the whole assembly
                             -Outer primary ground and recracked below derby cover                   
Personal gear:Road rashed-Large gear bag handle wore off and end holed
                                   -cargo net shredded
                                   -rain gear left arm and left hip area shredded
                                   -hole in leather jacket,hoodie,long sleeve shirt left elbow
                                   -Small fingernail size scar on left elbow 
Probably a few more hidden cracks but other than the fender bolt holes and leaky outer primary ,still rideable.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Well that's substantial!!
What else are ya still lookin for in your fix list?
Dawg
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:27 pm

sunnydog wrote:Well that's substantial!!
What else are ya still lookin for in your fix list?
Dawg
I have everything that I need for the replacements and the JB Weld will fix the broken.
Oh the joys of stockpiling parts from swaps when I don't need them at the time.
If I see something shovel and it'll fit (and the price is right),It's comin home.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:51 pm

sunnydog wrote:Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
I regret the one time a fella had all his takeoff shovel parts and alot of brand new OEM parts.Picked up a few things there.A rollin papered chassis, missin only the motor, for $1000.Wish I'd had the cash for that.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah I never seem to have the salad for deals like that...oh well I'm savin up for a touring rig now, hope to have one by early summer...we shall see
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty parts

Post  jmac Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:39 am

We have a ton of shovel part,s here at the shop.I,m currently dealing on a 1980 fl but it,s fucked.I,m thinking the only thing any good on it is the tittle:scratch: jmac

jmac

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 am

sunnydog wrote:Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you AND JMAC!!!...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:45 pm

sunnydog wrote:
sunnydog wrote:Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you AND JMAC!!!...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
Glad you ammended that.Meant to do that last night.Johnny did alot less wrenchin on his '77 than i did to do the miles.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Like they say, "never piss off the Chef" Evil or Very Mad 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. Empty Bearing Begone

Post  Dennman Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:38 pm

cheers Was gonna go to town and buy one of those ball-joint forks (?).Decided to take an old 3/4" chisel and do a little grinder massage on it.Ground it down to a long tapered chisel and fine tuned it w/ a file. BF'nH and the chisel had that bearing off in no time atall.
 Managed to tap the cupped dust shield back into a usable piece.
 Put a skim of Krylon Rust Paint on the trees to cover the chipped areas and makem L What a Face K  purty again.Can't see much of em under the nacelle but what is visible is all gloss black.   "I see a chipped tree and I want it painted black!"
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Wow Denn, tap into that creative vein ya got goin on and don't let it end!!  Legendary display of woodshed ingenuity, emoticon usage, and classic rock references, you had me at LMAO. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum