48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And it begins.

+7
Shakerattlenroll
h.d.ryder
kootenai
jmac
Big Dave
sunnydog
Dennman
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Lame Ass Excuse #1

Post  Dennman Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:14 pm

No pic yet.

Got one spot sporatically doin the on/off. Checked the connections and wire.Those are good.Gotta be the bulb itself.Went lookin for a 4" spot in town to match.No luck at any Auto suppliers.(NAPA,Lordco,Canuck Tire)
Next stop Tractor supplier and my indy.
 Took in the scratched windshield to have one (Lexan) made at the local Plastic Store.Tomorrow I'll check the tractor supply when I pick up the shield.If no luck, it'll be off to the indy to order lights.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Lightenin Up!

Post  Dennman Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Got a set of spot bulbs at the Kubota dealer outside of town.Upped the wattage 5W to 35W.Should give a better view of those night critters.

So as it sits now.

And it begins. - Page 3 2013-210

Also picked up my replacement windshield for the fairing.The old one is mounted on the scoot now for mock-up.The new one is flat so i'll have to find something curved to strap it to and then heat it up abit to get some curve in it.The piece will bend but I'd like to get some of the tension on the piece, if mounted in the chrome curved bottom braces,reduced.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Re: And it begins.

Post  sunnydog Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Wow looks grand!!!!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:12 pm

sunnydog wrote:Wow looks grand!!!!
I was goin ta change my aftermarket nacelle to ahn OEM panhead one I picked up a few years back.After lookin at it closely I found the top bolt holes for the bar cover stripped out.It also had some deep tarnish marks in the surface.Another time when I got a few spare hours and it's warmer (polishing Isn't easy when the metal is so cold),i'll get it done up real nice for a later swap.

Just in the process of cleanin off the tour grime and oil on my wheel rims.Got a set of Metzlers to put on.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Test Fit Fairing

Post  Dennman Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 am

Attached my home-made angled brackets to the chrome fairing bracket on the scoot.Set in approximately the right position.Tried the fairing fit but the spots were in the way for getting it in place.The spots seem to be too close into the nacelle to get the fairing behind.
Was affeared that I might have to remove all the accessories and rearrange them to get the fit.
Checked all 52 pages on the Dresser thread on the US site.A few had the same brackets for spots and the fairing as I do
Got a response that my arrangement of parts is correct so I've just got to do some adjusting on the smaller brackets.
Here's hopein that's all it is.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Bummer!

Post  Dennman Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Well I had to remove the wind deflectors in order to get the fairing in place.  Sad  Damn I liked the bug and road rock protection that they provided.Wish I could get them on there but alas it's not possible  No  without butcherin them.
You lose some and ya gain some.Hand protection that is.

At least it went on lookin centered and level w/ minimal bracket tweakin.  cheers 

And it begins. - Page 3 2013-211

Now to get it painted then wait til the scoots out for summer. Hey Alice!!!   lol!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Wow man me likey, looks awesome...gonna be black I guess??  What a Face 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 pm

lookin good amigo..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 pm

sunnydog wrote:Wow man me likey, looks awesome...gonna be black I guess??   What a Face 

Black it'll be.

Thanks,Koot.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Update on Shoptime.

Post  Dennman Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Got my new rubber on the rims.Sittin in the shop waitin for regrease of bearings.

Workin on a clutch pack change.Checked the fiber plates in the scoot against a new set that I bought.The worn plates are only .002 -.003 thinner than the new ones.The inner plates were a wee greased from the bearing fling ;so ,I think that was the cause of my once in a while, under heavy acceleration, slipping.A good cleaning and a little scuffage and the worn plates will be good to go.
While pullin the plates I noticed all my studs were a little loose.Restaked them all tight again.

My cracked outer primary has been JB Welded back to a non-leakin and better fittin flange for the inspection cover.

Few more internal parts to clean and the primary can be reassembled and buttoned up w/ some fresh oil.

Then on to the wheel bearin regrease.

Still got some paint to tend to on the front fender.Want to get the fender on before the wheel.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Wheelin Today.

Post  Dennman Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Bearings greased.Front rim polished.Rear rim just cleaned.Can't see it w/ all the bags.

Now to get my paint patch lookin somewhat like the rest of the fender.It looks blacker than the fender.It's the same paint just put on thicker.Have to smooth down the edges and buff it.
Actually looks like the colour that I wanted the scoot to turn out when I had it painted years ago.Guess my painter didn't put enough layers on. It should look black in the shade and black cherry in the bright sun.

After the wheels are on I'll be workin on the engine.Just noticed the Red Gem rocker nuts are all cracked and drooping.Cheap OEM imitations.  Mad  Back to the chrome domes and old washers.Damn gems and new washers leaked like a sieve last tour.Made a freaken mess of the heads.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  h.d.ryder Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 am

Hey Den,
Sounds like you got an early start and you`re making things happen. you will be ready to roll before winter`s over. I suppose winter is a tad shorter on the Island too,

h.d.ryder

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:30 am

h.d.ryder wrote:Hey Den,
Sounds like you got an early start and you`re making things happen.  you will be ready to roll before winter`s over.  I suppose winter is a tad shorter on the Island too,

Winter hasn't been too bad so far.Had 12 days or so of sub zero weather and about 4" of snow.That's all gone.Haven't had much rain so far.Local news says were in drought conditions.Ski hill only has 4" of snow.Last year there was 3 meters at this time up there.Power dam is lowering flow for power and salmon eggs may suffer from it.
 At least it's decent now for workin in the unheated shop.

Last edited by Dennman on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Check your mailbox early next week, hope the fuckin' mail carriers are still workin.
Sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Scratchin My Head?

Post  Dennman Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Been stripping off parts to get at the rear head to at least (hopefully) replace the head gasket that started leakin near the end of The Tour-2013.Soon as I lifted it,I knew   Rolling Eyes   it was another S&S Big Bore Head destined for a doorstop.  Crying or Very sad  The back two bolts have pulled the inserts down into the gasket.  Question  One actually did a little chamfer on the barrel bolt hole.  
No idea why these let go.I knew exactly why the last two heads were toasted. 

Looks like another summer or more of ridin w/ mismatched heads.   Cool   afro 

Had my stock head, that was reworked at least 10 yrs. ago for the big bore and B cam,sittin on the bench waitin  bounce  for the chance to run again.If it performs well in my spring shakedown rides,it may get to stay on indefinately.

Already got the rocker box bolted to the stocker.Dug out my domed rocker shaft nuts and some new washers to be put on and replace the cheepo red gem nuts.Going to put a light smear of clear silicon on both sides of the washer to keep the oil from weepin out like it did last year.The front one was a real gusher.

Will post pics of the damage soon.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 am

Denn, yer a testament to the dedication of a Shovel longrider...I lift a cold Caribou beer to ya
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Pics of Damage

Post  Dennman Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Here's what I saw as soon as I lifted the head off the barrel.This is the head side of the gasket.The bottom two bolt holes show the damage from the pulled inserts.

And it begins. - Page 3 2013-212

Here's the head.The right two are the pulled inserts.They stick outa the gasket surface as far as the good three are recessed.They've moved about 1/16".

And it begins. - Page 3 2013-213

Fuzzy pic but it shows the raised ring of metal around the insert.

And it begins. - Page 3 2013-214

Just a tad pissed off  Mad  AGAIN  Exclamation   Exclamation   Exclamation   Exclamation
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Why do them dang things turn out? Are they cemented in with anything when new?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 pm

sunnydog wrote:Why do them dang things turn out?  Are they cemented in with anything when new?

Those are installed by S&S in hot heads w/ cold inserts.I think they are all done at the same time and the 2 small holes in the head gasket surface are the locating points for the inserting process.

They haven't turned out.They've pulled out.That is why there is a ridge of metal above the gasket surface around the 2 inserts.

I asked about fixin them on my last set and the local S&S mechanic said --Not possible once pulled.
Since the other 3 inserts have held all last season w/ no retorquing,I may down the road,see if I can locate a machinist to do a failproof repair on those 2 inserts.Thinkin of a Shovelhead Drag racer in Fort Sask. that might have a solution for me.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Ohhhhh....thought they had turned out....but they're actually pulling up. Bugger!
Is it possible to thread-sert those like a spark plug insert?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:32 pm

sunnydog wrote:Ohhhhh....thought they had turned out....but they're actually pulling up.  Bugger!
Is it possible to thread-sert those like a spark plug insert?

I do believe that I've heard of some form of insert to redo them.The problem is to find a shop that can do the job without screwing up the insert position and at a cost w/ shippin that's not prohibitive to my limited finances.They cost me close to $650 a head.I really can't justify redoin it if it'll cost a lot to redo and the stocker works for me.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:47 pm

sounds like s&s has some quality control problems,,its the same thing with their flywheels too I hear,,,every so many off the line are out of balance....don't get me wrong top quality materials but they are cranking their stuff out faster than they can check it I think.................glad its gonna work out for ya dennman..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:15 pm

kootenai wrote:sounds like s&s has some quality control problems,,its the same thing with their flywheels too I hear,,,every so many off the line are out of balance....don't get me wrong top quality materials but they are cranking their stuff out faster than they can check it I think.................glad its gonna work out for ya dennman..

I contacted the fella in Smithers that I bought the heads from to see if he had heard of any other failed inserts like mine.
I thought maybe there had been a bad run of heads that were too soft/improperly annealed (?) to keep the inserts in place.I know Johnny DK in Denmark had the same problem w/ his rear head not holding torque on those 2 inserts in his 3 5/8" heads.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakerattlenroll Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I sure hope that set I just bought aren't gonna give me troubles  Shocked
Shakerattlenroll
Shakerattlenroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Jeez Den you can't seem to catch a break on those (are we related) Smile I'm waiting on pistons and gasket set and I'm off and running Wades got me covered on gaskets when I get home next week and the weathers warm enough to work in the shop . Shit might just happen in the tundra Smile

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Possible Cause and Solution?

Post  Dennman Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Before I had the bushing on the rear rod redone,last spring, I had taken the rear head into Hein (my top shelf mechanic) and had him check it out.At that time all looked A-OK.When he had my cases, the wheel assembly was still tight and in specs.

After my summer of retorquin every 300 mi. or so,I'm wondering if the slop in the bushing,from the previous year, had allowed the piston to contact the head and just start those inserts moving.Doesn't make sense as on the upstroke the piston would have been about .015 lower and no pressure on the head on the downstroke.That's the only thing I can think of other than a soft casting in that area.

I e-mailed Sam up in Smithers and told him of my last years trouble w/ the heads and that spun wrist pin.He said he'd take a look at the head if I sent it up to him.
Can't see doing that soon with the property and income taxes due this spring.Gonna have to scrimp to pay those.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Well shit!!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Good Indy.

Post  Dennman Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Sam has mentioned not to worry about cost on his end for now.Having said this I can at least get the head up to him for a look see.
He had a machinist repair the damaged exhaust flange on my new heads in 2011.There is no sign of a repair.The texture on the outside even matched the original.Maybe this fella can do whats needed to fix this.

Fri. :boxed the head and bussed it up to Sam.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Any word on the heads yet Den

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Big Dave wrote:Any word on the heads yet Den

Dave

Just the rear head,Dave.I haven't heard his assessment of it yet.Not possitive when ,if yet,that it got up north.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Finally got too antsy about ridin this spring and started boltin the scoot back together.Old rear stock head and carb are back on.
No sooner did I get the head on and Sam e-mails me w/ news from S&S.Seems he complained to them and they at least responded w/ a few questions about exactly what style of head had the inserts fail.Still a little hope I reckon.Not holdin my breath and wrenchin ahead ta get the Weerier runnin again.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm

hope it works out in your favor amigo...............
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Gettin Closer !

Post  Dennman Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Just tanks and fuel then    And it begins. - Page 3 Kboom10   And it begins. - Page 3 Kboom10
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:59 am

So........do tell! And with pics or vid please! I'd dearly love to see the batwing setup too....
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 am

sunnydog wrote:So........do tell!  And with pics or vid please!  I'd dearly love to see the batwing setup too....
Not bein a 21st Century Schizoid man,I can't do video.It'll have to be just a static shot.don't hold your breath for batwing shots.It's still not painted and w/ a week of rain ahead ,it's not goin to be happenin soon.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:05 am

Lmao...love the obscure April Wine reference!!!
Yes I will settle for static shots
Sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 am

sunnydog wrote:Lmao...love the obscure April Wine reference!!!
Yes I will settle for static shots
Sunny

Figured if anybody would catch that,it would be you  sunny 
Actually it's from my teen youth and a band called---King Crimson.From one of their albums called ---In the Court of the Crimson King.Sung by Greg Lake.(Familiar name)Left KC to form with Emerson,Lake and Palmer.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Whoa Big Fella---Hold the Horses.

Post  Dennman Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Just got an E-mail this morn, after my post above,from Sam at EyeCandy Customs in Smithers.

S&S is replacing my fugged up head.Figures I just get it all back together and now have to redo it.Good practise run.Dependin on how long it takes to get here,I may just run what I've put together to set all the brake,clutch & chain adjustments.

Too cool!! Never thought S&S would do this unless they were aware of a run of defective heads.At any rate looks like i'll have matchin heads to run this summer.See ya!!!!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 3 Empty Hope that works out for you Den

Post  coopsta Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

But don't hold your breath waiting for them Kunts to send out the parts!! I got some S&S roller rockers and one of the rockers looked off centre (weird machining) any way talked them fuckin fucks at S&S and first they wanted pics, then more pics then they said ya that one definatly looks different but we are sure there wouldn't be anything wrong with it but we will replace it. Well that was over a year and a half ago. I was sending emails to the dick that handles that shit there and finally I just gave up because they were not actually going to send the replacement to me……but thats not to say they won't hook you up Den, just saying what happened to me……

coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:09 pm

coopsta wrote:  But don't hold your breath waiting for them Kunts to send out the parts!!  I got some S&S roller rockers and one of the rockers looked off centre (weird machining) any way talked them fuckin fucks at S&S and first they wanted pics, then more pics then they said ya that one definatly looks different but we are sure there wouldn't be anything wrong with it but we will replace it.  Well that was over a year and a half ago.  I was sending emails to the dick that handles that shit there and finally I just gave up because they were not actually going to send the replacement to me……but thats not to say they won't hook you up Den, just saying what happened to me……

I'm not dealin directly w/ them.It's through one of their agents in Canada.He's already expressed his disapointment with  respect to their lack of support for a small S&S dealer before the news came back.I'm not pullin the scoot down til i have the replacement head in my hands.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum