48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice

5 posters

Go down

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Empty Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice

Post  sunnydog Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am

Hey Guys,
I got a new center hub (tapered shaft) for my played out Rivera Primo clutch, workin' on the clutch hub to disassemble, discovered two of my 4 hub studs are stripped where they mount into the clutch hub. In order to disassembe this damn thing completely so that I can install new center hub, i gotta get them two stripped studs out. I tried to use my bench vise to pull outward on the stud while turning it with wrench (it has long hex nut on each stud), but that didn't work worth a fiddlers fuck. Any ideas? I will post pics soon.
Sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Empty Re: Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice

Post  sunnydog Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Here we are:
Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Photo1_zpsd3a6beb9

In order to get the silver colored outer hub off the black inner hub (the one that's boinked), I need to get the long nuts off those two remaining studs.  The studs are stripped in the inner hub and just turn without coming out.  Once I get that outer hub off, I can press the new inner hub into it.

Last edited by sunnydog on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Empty Re: Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice

Post  sunnydog Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:21 pm

A couple more photos:
Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Photo2_zps3c8891aa

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Photo4_zpscdf4b32b
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 pm

are the threads above those long nuts in good shape sunny?,,maybe you can run a nut down to the long one and tack it together with the mig then wrench the top nut and that should pull the long one with it maybe......
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Koot, The one pic shows a shouldered nut tightened onto the top of a long nut, and it does turn as a unit, but the fine threads down inside the outer hub are stripped and it won't back out, just turns in place without comin out....it's an enigma wrapped around a conundrum.....maybe I will have to just buzz that enigma with a Dremel tool

sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Would puttin a couple jam nuts at the top of the exposed thread and then wrench on the long nut til it's tight to the jam nuts,do any good?
Maybe then pryin up under the long nut whilst wrenchin the top nut might get you into some good fine threads.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Stripped studs need some attention and I need advice Empty try this yet?

Post  coopsta Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

If you smoke a bunch of weed it will just fix itself?? Works for me!! lol Hey can't' you double nut them studs and hold a wrench on the double nut while wrenching them black pos off? Or weld the stud in place and back the black long nuts off then grind out the weld?

Twang……..pretty sure if you take your medicine in a high enough dosage it will fix itself though?
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  h.d.ryder Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Dennman wrote:Would puttin a couple jam nuts at the top of the exposed thread and then wrench on the long nut til it's tight to the jam nuts,do any good?
Maybe then pryin up under the long nut whilst wrenchin the top nut might get you into some good fine threads.

I would try exactly what Den said.

h.d.ryder

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 pm

I tried that guys, the shouldered nut in the picture is tight to the long nut and they turn as a unit. The problem is that the threaded part of the studs which go thru the outer hub into the inner hub are stripped and just turn without moving up. I need some kinda puller setup to pull the studs and currently don't know how I'm gonna do it. But I will figger it out.....thinkin on it.....  scratch 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am

sunnydog wrote:I tried that guys, the shouldered nut in the picture is tight to the long nut and they turn as a unit.   The problem is that the threaded part of the studs which go thru the outer hub into the inner hub are stripped and just turn without moving up.  I need some kinda puller setup to pull the studs and currently don't know how I'm gonna do it.  But I will figger it out.....thinkin on it.....  scratch 

That's not what I mean.
The jam nuts are not tight to the long nut to start.
They are at the very top of the threads.I've made my own jam nuts by cutting a reg. nut laterally in half.
They should hold the stud from turning while you wrench the long nut up to the jam nuts.
You should then have a gap between the long nut and the hub to get a pry bar in.Pry up while turning the nuts.It should pull the stud into new threads or out of the hubs.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:01 pm

The long nut is locktited to the stud, the stud turns, the long nut won't turn on the stud....this is my dilemma. I may have to cut these pricks off with the dremel and replace them. Lookin that way.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:04 pm

sunnydog wrote:The long nut is locktited to the stud, the stud turns, the long nut won't turn on the stud....this is my dilemma.  I may have to cut these pricks off with the dremel and replace them.  Lookin that way.

Then jamnut the top of the stud.Heat the long nut to break the loctite and wrench off the long nut!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:13 pm

I know you'd like to beat me about the face and neck right now with a 1/2" drive ratchet.....but.....The stud is turning in place that's the problem. A jamnut won't work because the stud is turning in place. I've tried heat , believe me thats the first thing I did. Swing away!!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 pm

But please remember, I love Shovels just like ya'll do, and I'm already hurtin' over this issue so don't beat me too hard, I might be the guy needs to roll ya over onto yer side sometime when ya had too many goodygoodygumdrops. cyclops 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:45 pm

sunnydog wrote:I know you'd like to beat me about the face and neck right now with a 1/2" drive ratchet.....but.....The stud is turning in place that's the problem.  A jamnut won't work because the stud is turning in place.   I've tried heat , believe me thats the first thing I did.   Swing away!!

I don't think you're getting what i'm saying.

Put 2 jam nuts locked together at the top of the stud.( not in contact w/ the long nut).Now if these are jammed together tight enough, a wrench on them will keep the stud from spinning.Put another wrench on the long nut and turn it while holding the jam nuts.

Capiche?
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down