48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry I could use some advice

Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty Larry I could use some advice

Post  coopsta on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:41 pm

A buddy of mine in Calgary phoned me this morning and he wants me to come up and take a look at a knuckle his buddy has for sale. He had told me about this bike a couple months ago but didn't have a lot of info.
The guy wants to sell the bike to my buddy so it's just a buddy type sale and he said his buddy wants 15000-16000 for the bike and I told him well that's pretty high for a cobbled bike.
He told me it was he was told it has a 54 bottom end with knuckle top. And original 54 duo glide frame. I said we'll sounds to me like its a cobble job as no swing arm pans until 58 so bottom end ain't matched to frame and to my knowledge there is some modifying that has to be done to pan cylinders to put knuckle heads on but do able. So I said to my buddy that really that pile of mismatched parts shouldn't fetch more than 10k and that is pushing it unless she is cherry? But that's my opinion and I am not a knuckle guru so what say you sir?
Thanks
Longfork
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty 54 Knuck

Post  h.d.ryder on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 am

Hey Coopsta,
You say it`s a 54 bottom end ,does that mean the cases are 54? Take a close look at the cases ,it is possible that the right side case is a knuck case ,and the left side is a 54 ?
You can tell if the right case is a knuck case by the lifter blocks ,Knuck lifter blocks are taller than Pan blocks and shaped differently on base ,in other words ,knuck blocks won`t bolt to a pan case without major mods.& welding .
Also ,look at the cylinders ,Knuck cylinders are square at the base ,Back in the day before they had aftermarket ,knuck cylinders were hard to find ,and Pan cyls. were plentifull, So they used to plug one head bolt hole on the Knuck cyl.head ,and then re-drill one head bolt hole and it would bolt to a Pan cylinder. If it has Pan cyls,you can spot it right away because one side of the cyl.base will be hanging over the cases because Pan cyl.bases are not square like a Knuck. If it has Pan cyls., that means the heads need some precision machining done to them, if you want them to mate to Knuck cyls. again. Just a couple things to look for ,if it`s cobbled together, Take lots of pics so you know what you`re getting.I`m no expert ,but I know a few things about them.
Hope this helps,
Larry

h.d.ryder

Back to top Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty Re: Larry I could use some advice

Post  sunnydog on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:29 am

I can't believe how lucky I am to know you guys...all this knowledge about my favorite machines, cheers to you all and merry Xmas eh? sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty Thanks Larry good info there

Post  coopsta on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 am

I knew about the mods required for the heads to go on pan cylinders but did not realize the differences in the lifter blocks and that knuckle blocks would not work on pan cases. So basically back in the day if you wore out your old knuckle cylinders the easy mod was to pick up some new pan cylinders and replace the wore out knuckle cylinders but mod the knuckle heads for the bolt pattern. But you couldn't take your pan motor and slap knuckle top end on the pan mainly due to the lifter block differences.
Basically it would have to be a knuckle motor with a pan left case maybe cause of damage or to maybe thwart some authority figures if the motor was somewhat warm
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty 54 Knuck

Post  h.d.ryder on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:07 am

I`m sure you could use pan lifter blocks in a knuck ,but Knuck lifter blocks won`t bolt to a Pan case ,and knuck lifter blocks look way more authentic,A 1954 Knuck won`t be worthless ,but it will be worth a lot less.
Without pics ,I can`t tell ,but it is possible that the only knuck parts on that 54 is the heads ? ,and if they have been modified for Pan cyls, then it is like you say ,cobbled together and worth a lot less.
Another thing to look at is the 3 mounting pads on Right side of heads (that hold alum. rocker box`s),These cast pedestals break easily if not set up correctly ,and are difficult to repair properly unless you have a good cast welder and machinist., Also ,the left side of heads has 2 cast iron ears that hold the rocker shafts ,they are also prone to breaking off if not set up correctly ,and difficult to weld precisely. When I`m looking for good used knuck heads ,that`s the first thing I look at ,Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Larry

h.d.ryder

Back to top Go down

Larry I could use some advice  Empty Re: Larry I could use some advice

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum