48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some opinions on frame decision

+2
kootenai
coopsta
6 posters

Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty I need some opinions on frame decision

Post  coopsta Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I am trying to figure out what the best way to go with my project. Was thinking of using a donor bike, then thought well I have a donor bike sitting in my garage wtf why waste good cash?
So I am trying to decide should I just carve up my 84 swingarm frame and hardtail it or should I just order up a paughco frame. The paughco gets me the frame style and rake I want quick and easy, but then there is the registering and safety bullshit to deal with, if I hardtail the glide there would be no issues with registration or safety inspection. The way I see it the built frame will end up costing pretty much the same as the hardtail job so cost wise not really a savings either way other than once the glide frame is hardtailed it is full speed ahead.
Can you guys see a draw back to hacking up a harley swing arm frame lol. I used to be worried about hacking up numbers matching bikes, but my opinion has changed on that. Its a shovel and made to be molested Twisted Evil
Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty Re: I need some opinions on frame decision

Post  kootenai Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:59 pm

shit man, im not sure...if it were me i couldnt hack it up id rather buy someone elses frame and hack it or use it or whatever..... i always bitch when i see a hacked knuckle frame or pan,,ect me myself shovel frame are in the same boat,,,,,i do know whatever you decide amigo it will be cool none the less.....
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty Yes that is what I need to hear

Post  coopsta Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks for tossing in your .02 cents Koot. I really want to build this rigid, and I figured maybe if I just ordered a paughco frame, it would be exactly what I want. Wishbone frame, 2-3 inches stretch in the down tubes, with 40 degree rake. Then maybe wideglide front end with a skinny wheel out there or springer but not sure on the springer just yet. Gonna be my daily rider so looks like I need to be finding a kidney belt ass well lol...... Idea
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty Re: I need some opinions on frame decision

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey Carlos.I'm with the buy a hardtail frame group.Have you checked out the Kraft Tech frames.They are a skookum frame.Don't know if they have the wishbone style.Have heard some bad reports on the paucho frame with regards to the welds.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty I heard that

Post  coopsta Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for weighing in Den, and I was reading some bad reviews on the shovel site as well. There was some negative comments and I also seen some positive comments as well so it left me wondering if maybe there was some bad frames being put out lately?
I also heard the Kraftech frames were very well made.
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:45 pm

I just checked the Kraft Tech site.I didn't see any of wishbone style.they do have 3 different tube thicknesses.(1 1/4",1 3/8",1 1/2")
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 am

Mr. Carlos, please don't cut your frame. Signed Little Timmy O'Toole
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am

Seems wrong to hack up a stk frame as they are getting harder to find , but as its yours u can obviously do as you wish . I dont know shit about frames but the i'd be leery of paucho after what i have read
Take care hope to meet soon

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:56 am

Me personally.....wouldnt cut the frame, Id buy a rigid, and not only that, Id buy a Paughco....theve been around forever and have a good selection, I agree, Kraft tech makes a nice frame but I would also want a wishbone and Id also want the line from the neck to the rear wheel dead straught...thats Paughco. And dont forgt, a weld on hardtail is just that, weld on...could flex or even break

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 am

yeah now that im thinking larrys pan has a weld on section and he says he dont like the way it feels at highway speed lots of flexin,,
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

I need some opinions on frame decision Empty Good points

Post  coopsta Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Well it would seem sacralige to hack the frame, I wasn't going to add a "weld on Hardtail" I was thinking of going with a Fab Kevin hardtail. He sent me some photos of some of his jobs and his work is amazing.
I have to agree with you Hammer, I still like the paughco frames and like the wishbone option and they will build you a frame to whatver specs you like.
I got an email from them the other day and they have no issues sending whatever you want to Canada, just phone them your order.

I will be on the look out for a good 4 speed ratchet top, so if anyone comes across something let me know thanks...
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Will do, signed little Timmy O'Toole rabbit
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Carlos there is a complete ratchet top on e-bay for $300 this site wont let me post the link - its on the shovel site it just poped up

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down