48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little off topic... Outdoor wood burning furnace

2 posters

Go down

Little off topic... Outdoor wood burning furnace Empty Little off topic... Outdoor wood burning furnace

Post  '79Lowrider Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 am

I believe there is a gentleman here by the name of Larry that has built an outdoor wood burning hot water furnace? I seem to recall conversing about it a year or two ago on the Shovel.us site.

My existing boiler rusted out last winter and I've finally more or less rounded up the materials to build my own. What I am wondering is, what is the door constructed like, and how does the chimney work? I.E. Is there a damper in it, are you running a fan for forced draft or is it natural draft and does it exit vertically out the top and through the water jacket or horizontally out the back wall of the fire box?

I found a site that details a guy who designed and built one quite similar to what I had envisioned. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/home-made-owb.223262

I like the idea of the smoke diverter system as it makes the smoke make an additional pass through the water to get a bit more heat transfer out of it rather than just having it blow heat up the chimney. I am wondering if it's worth the extra time and effort to construct it though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Later,
Marc

'79Lowrider

Back to top Go down

Little off topic... Outdoor wood burning furnace Empty Re: Little off topic... Outdoor wood burning furnace

Post  h.d.ryder Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:26 am

Sent you a PM.

h.d.ryder

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum