48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts Please

5 posters

Go down

Thoughts Please Empty Thoughts Please

Post  Big Dave Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 am

Goodies for my motor
Right now basic stk 1980 80" .010 over pistons after market guessing 8-1 running Evo rtockers 1.63 ratio bumps my cam to about .440 lift
Now the new goodies Shaker products high dome 10.5-1 pistons , B cam Solid lifters , with the evo rockers should be about .545 lift , i clearanced my heads and springs for .550 last rebuild , but only lapped the valves at that time as there was no sign of any problems . So other then a good head rebuild and valve grind what other trouble am i getting into
Im thinking Boom

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Thoughts Please Empty Re: Thoughts Please

Post  Roadhammer Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm

I think with a high dome piston Id be thinking about dual plugging it. I know some call bullshit on dual plugs but they just make sense to me considering better flame burn plus you can retard timing a few degrees avoiding detonation. Would say cam is correct with that compression.{ but I aint no expert......just opinionated) Laughing

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  zaac Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 am

I'm thinkin them high compression high lift Shovel engines are nothin but trouble and money. Don't you wanna retire someday? Very Happy
zaac
zaac

Back to top Go down

Thoughts Please Empty Well I have to agree

Post  coopsta Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 am

I have to side with Zaac on that thought process as well. I know I wouldn't be sticking in any 10.5:1 pistons in any shovel I owned. I think you would be wise to maybe look at something in the 9's. In order to really be running that high of a compression piston you are going to have to do some serious head work to get them heads to breath so you can fill the cylinder and your going to need some really high lift short duration cams like a woods 6H. You have to look at what your platform is. I went thru this process a few years ago, had lots of fun except Crazy mike butchered my heads when he was decking them. My shovel really pulled hard, lots of smiles per mile, just had a bunch of bullshit to deal with my rear head cause it kept sucking oil into the cylinder thru the return hole cause the deck job was not true. But I had him set up my heads for .610 lift, larger valves, he ported them. I did the evo valve train with velva touch set up, used S&S stroker pistons and the Woods evo 6H its .590 lift and a 240 duration. Now once all that is done I ended up with around 165 pounds of compression. Ran silky smooth and that thing came on around 3000 rpm and pulled like a freight train. But in order to get all the benifits of higher compression pistons your going to have to do work to the whole system to really see any benefits in my opinion.
Personally seeing how you already have the heads set up for .550 and evo rocker arms, look into a set of Velva Touch shovel to evo lifters get an EV-27 cam (.495 lift) then look into getting a set of 4 5/8" stroker wheels and a set of stroker pistons....the S&S ones will put you in the high 8's if you want, trim a little off your barrels to get yourself up to the low 9's.
With a set up like that you will get some longevity but a really nice boost of torque depending on how your geared. If you want a stump puller gear her a little lower, if you mostly run on the open road gear it a little higher and the stroker can pull them big hills no problem with the longer legs and lower rpms?
I hope these ideas can help a little bit? Smile

Longfork Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for the thoughts - I got all these parts for nothing and as a true cob feel it only fair i try it What a Face . Im hoping to be able to pick up another bike in the next year or two a cruiser of some sort for the wive and i so this bike will be for fun
Hadnt thought of dual plugs but looking at the dome it makes sense
Ive got lots of homework to do this is just a start and no cash right now or i would probably do the velva's now (thanks new member long chop) Laughing

Keep the ideas coming

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 am

Oh these Shovels are so much fun and games...they're constantly morphing...I think they're the true "transformers" of our mechanical world. "Shape shifters" for you star trek geeks alien
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Thoughts Please Empty Yes that is exactly it

Post  coopsta Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes Sunny I do believe you are on to something there.....one machine, many forms.

Dave don't get me wrong, there is no one "best" way to do something, I was just giving my opinion, and that and .25 cents still won't buy you a cup of coffee lol.....
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Ya Coop i understand , i joke about it but i dont want to build a bomb i dont mind tearing it down every couple years but i still want to ride it , so the B grind has been around for years and was really popular at the 10-1 ratio . the pistons are advertised at 10.5-1 , They were shovel bills from the site and there were questions of actual compression being lower thats why he decided not to run them so its quit possible they will end up in the 9-10 range

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  zaac Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:00 pm

10-1 and a b grind should get you around 168 psi so Carlos already proved it can be done but that's getting up there. No prob for an Evo but pushin it with a Shovel imo. I have dual plugs and don't think it helps that much. I pulled out the extra plugs and it runs just as nice. Retarding the timing with dual plugs just puts the peak cylinder pressure back where it's supposed to be so no different than 35° with single plug. That's how I understand it anyway.
zaac
zaac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum