48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire

Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire

Post  sunnydog on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Here's somethin I'm workin on.
Gonna run a narrower front tire, about 3.4" wide rather than the present one that's about 5" or so. I got an FL style fender cheap and marked it up for cutting. Fenders about 6.5" wide, taking an inch out of the centre:
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Sec2

Trusty side grinder made a quick job of it, quick and dirty:
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Sec4

I found a cool aluminum front trim piece about 6 months ago, it's about 4.75" wide, so I cut a bit more off the front 1/3 of the sectioning so that this piece will fit:
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Sec6
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty Re: Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire

Post  sunnydog on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Ground her off for welding surface, matched it up in the vice and spotted it at about 4" intervals.

You know, that narrowing on the front 1/3 didn't seem to create much issue, it matched okay. My temp and speed on the MIG is challenging.
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Sec8

A shot of the inside. Think I'll try that trick where you lay down some copper sheeting on the inside to keep the welder from burning thru on final welding. I'll keep working on it.
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Sec7
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty Questions here

Post  coopsta on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 pm

So on the econoline you had a FL front end right? So to install the fender you are just going to fab up some spacers for the mounting bracket or are you going back to the Sturgis narrow glide front end?
Nice work with the gosh damn side grinder buddy.....should have been a surgeon
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty Re: Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire

Post  sunnydog on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Coop, good to see ya back.
Yes, I'm gonna run it in the wideglide, make spacers, 1/2 inch per side. Hammer said he thought it would look geigh, yes geigh...so I'm out to prove him wrong! He was drinking Giunness at the time...maybe he was pullin my chain. It's all part of the weight loss program for the Econoline. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51 pm

Impressive work, sunny ! I can't run a straight cut w/ a grinder.I couldn't cut a train track straight, let alone thin sheet.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 am

Hey wait a minute.... i said that other one I saw on the other sight looked wrong, I mean who paints a bike gold....yours may look OK, and if I dont like it...so what! If it turns out as good as little wing itll look great. Never heard of putting copper sheeting behind the weld to prevent burn through, cant ya just stitch weld it?

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:59 am

Just kiddin Hammer, don't worry it will be rattle can black, to stay w the regular pattern on the bike!

Say if yer around Friday Koot should be comin down after work, gonna try to get the barrels on.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty On second look

Post  sunnydog on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 am

Welded her all up, Okay now I tried this thing out on the 4" wide front tire of my flattie, and damnit I like the way it looks:
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Fendah2_zpsd8ae647c

Hmmm...I'll have to think about this for awhile. I sure like skirted fenders for trips in the rain, maybe the flattie needs one too. Whattya think men?
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Fendah1_zps2a98554e
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:37 am

Looks good on there sunny .Should be interesting mounting to the springer.Personally I'm not a fan of narrow skirted fenders on FLHs.It'd be interesting to see in combo w/ your custom rear sunny-fender.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Denn, I'm gonna try it on the Shovel to see how it looks once I get my new wheel mounted on there. I bin thinkin the same...might look funny a skinny fender w the cowbells and nacelle. Of course Hammer pointed that out already. Maybe I will paint the damn thing Gold.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty It looks good

Post  coopsta on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 pm

I think you did a nice job on the fender, but in my opinion what that springer needs is nothing, as in you shouldn't run a fender at all!!!! Cool. I like them springers without any fender but hey maybe thats just me lol...
Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm

I hear ya Carlos...wish I could run no fender on both. But, Comes in handy riding this part o the whirld.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Empty So I tried it on the Shovel

Post  sunnydog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:21 pm

With the new old front drum brake. I'm liking the way it looks, 18" wheel, tire is 4" wide.

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Newfender2_zps88f23c59

My brother was down for the wkend, we did some work on the lathe to make the front axle fit. He's a veterninarian so has the same qualifications for machine work as I do! (i.e. wkend warrior)
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Newfender3_zpsf4e0bd53

The dang mounting brackets on this FL style fender almost fit perfect into the tabs on my Showa forks! Simply lucky on my part, I was only really concerned about the width of the fender and not about the width of the mounting as long as it was narrow enough. I probly won't even need to use spacers, or as little as 1/16 to 1/8" per side.
Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Newfender4_zps4e469f0b

Sectioning FL fender for narrower tire Newfender1_zps903ebfa0

So now I'm gonna pull it off there and do some bodywork, paint, looking forward to inhaling some paint fumes, it's been a couple weekends since my last buzz.

sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Well it looks like ya got a dual application fender there.How's that Buzz coming?
Do you have "the wedge" behind the beauty ring on your headlight? I've only seen one of those at swaps and the vender wanted $300 for the whole nacelle setup.He wouldn't split it up.I want one for my scoot .The 4" over tubes make it so the headlight at Max down adjustment is still a little too high.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Yes Denn, good eye...that is a wedge on there, been told they were used with sidecar Shovels? I think my forks are at least 2" over.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum