48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects

Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty So whats on the clipboard for winter projects

Post  coopsta on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm

So what do all of us have on the clipboard for winter projects? Post what you want to do, what you might do, what you would like to do to your bike. Just generally shoot the shit and throw some ideas out there.
So Koot was the stroker all that you thought it would be? Did you expect a little more power or was it about what you hoped to get out of the stroker kit?

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty Re: So whats on the clipboard for winter projects

Post  kootenai on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:12 pm

well man,,it goes pretty good,now that im used to it more it feels the same as my 74",im still gonna be playing around with it,i fucked with jets and this winter im gonna change the rear sprocket from a 51 tooth to a 49 and see how that works for me,,it seems the motor is really smooth until a higher rpm,,well even than its not bad,its way smoother now that its breaking in,but it had me concerned at first it really seemed like a shaker to me....,but for this winter ive got to get a couple of more belts and change a motorshaft seal,coz some oil on the belt cost me some teeth when i tried keeping up to big cliff on his 127"ultima.... gots some work to do on the 45" to tend to also....So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Sledding002
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty Re: So whats on the clipboard for winter projects

Post  Dennman on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm chasing down a loud ticking in the top end.Pulling heads and checking the rocker bushings.Got a new rear tire on order,new sidestand to replace the one bent last summer,neck bearings need a looksee/tightening,miscellaneous parts painting and and ????
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty Nature of the beast

Post  coopsta on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes I guess its the nature of the beast to shake a little bit, I noticed some vibes on high rpm ass well. Suppose you don't get one without the other......why do you run the belt when a chain primary is so much less trouble? I see that it would make adjusting the clutch much easier and for taking off the primary but any leakage at the sprocket shaft seal and the belt leaves you on your knees?
Coop

Oh ya Denn, I heard you were going to be buggering with the rockers. Did you get the tick isolated yet or just in the process. I have a brand new set of rocker arms in a bag if you need some?
Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty This thing freaks me

Post  sunnydog on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, the Stroker project was great Koot, she seems to run awesome...now stop messin with it LOL!!!!
I needed a tool last night so made one
So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Tool2

Used it to pull off the clutch, I usually use a JamBar but like an impatient fool had removed wheel already
So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Tool5

Pulled off the square swingarm and put my round setup on, goin with 13" shocks...hope ya'll like it, I'm diggin it
So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Swingarm4
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 pm

scoots,lookin sharp man,,now ya got me jonesing for a round swingarm......
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm

sunnydog wrote:
Pulled off the square swingarm and put my round setup on, goin with 13" shocks...hope ya'll like it, I'm diggin it
So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Swingarm4
What's that colour Sunny?Lookin a little slimmer.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm

You using the 13" shocks for better ground clearance sunny?
Nice work on the home made clutch tool. Can you enlighten me on the mods to your rear fender? Is that a sissy bar modification?
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks gents, yes Denn, black is slimming! That FX fender is a lot skinnier, but a least she's okay w it having rolled off the line an FXB Wink
Koot, Larry told me he's got a couple rounds hangin on the wall Idea
Coop, I needed a couple more inches...as usual. Edit....I fabbed that "Little Wing" outta sheet metal, am gonna build a custom sissy bar for it this winter...used an FX fender as base.

Last edited by sunnydog on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 pm

coopsta wrote:
Oh ya Denn, I heard you were going to be buggering with the rockers. Did you get the tick isolated yet or just in the process. I have a brand new set of rocker arms in a bag if you need some?
Coop
I thought about getting new rockers, Carlos.After I get into the boxes and see what the valve end of the rockers looks like,I'll know whether to rebuild or replace them.Hoping it's just bushing wear causing the noise.The endplay was decent when I had the heads off last winter.I just may take you up on the offer.

Last edited by Dennman on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct ends to heads)
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 pm

sunnydog wrote:Thanks gents, yes Denn, black is slimming!
That Black looks like Black Cherry in the fender glow..
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 pm

It's some of that Lordco bumper fill 'n flex paint Denn...might still wetssand and paint w some nicer satin paint.
Hope your top end work goes well, I'll be askin ya'lls advice on that same subject this winter.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm

coopsta wrote: Yes I guess its the nature of the beast to shake a little bit, I noticed some vibes on high rpm ass well. Suppose you don't get one without the other......why do you run the belt when a chain primary is so much less trouble? I see that it would make adjusting the clutch much easier and for taking off the primary but any leakage at the sprocket shaft seal and the belt leaves you on your knees?
Coop

Coop
i figger down the road coop im gonna go back to a chain and rig it up with a drip lube system like the old ones,,,,,,,but not too often my belts fuck up,,,,and ive got changing em out in under 15 minutes.... cheers
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Damn.....................you guys are just busy for me.....................think I'll just get something chromed and have a beer. What a Face
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 am

Oh believe me Denis there's beer involved in this business!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:53 pm

sunnydog wrote:Oh believe me Denis there's beer involved in this business!

As long as it isn't one of your special little green beers Laughing

Btw, have your schematic drawn up and will pick up your fuse block tomorrow afternoon.
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:17 am

Denistheshovelmenace wrote:

Btw, have your schematic drawn up and will pick up your fuse block tomorrow afternoon.

OOOh! A zinger by the De man!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:21 am

Once again I apologize for the overproof liquor, and pray that it might be forgotten, but realize that it most certainly will never be No
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 am

sunnydog wrote:Once again I apologize for the overproof liquor, and pray that it might be forgotten, but realize that it most certainly will never be No

Never will be forgotten so stop apologizing lol
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:39 am

Dennman wrote:

Lol Dennis......................got those heads off yet?
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 am

Well alright then, stop by for a beer sometime!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 am

Dennman wrote:

Lol Dennis......................got those heads off yet?

Almost got to them.Removed lifter blocks and cam followers.They look good.Cam has good endplay and lobes.Heads are next.Too many farm chores keeping me from the wrenching.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm

yep 7,to 8 months of wrenchin time to play with,,,,
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Hey \Koot.......................how is the non smoking going? RH says you are doing well.
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:43 am

Denistheshovelmenace wrote:Hey \Koot.......................how is the non smoking going? RH says you are doing well.
its going good,im 5 months no tobacky,,,,,and i havnt murdered anyone yet... Twisted Evil
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm Back
hey guys this is kinda interesting
anyway my winter will be front and rear brakes getting rid of the bananas and trying something a bit more modern
Im trying to get this thing to pass the Alberta safety inspection, other then brakes i think im ok
And if it works out i have some 10-1 pistons, B cam , solids and new pushrods , with my 1.6 rockers im thinking big KABOOM but fuck it should be fun

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey Coop
Coop.
How much you askin for the rockers?Thinkin I want to replace the mismatched ones in my boxes.
I cleaned all the thick oil outa the arms and found the rear set were loose on the shafts.There is a slight contact mark in the rear box from the rocker.Think that could be the ticking sight.The spacers and shims in there show heavy wear marks.So i've got new spacers,shafts and left side nuts & washers ordered.Have to find some .005 and.010 shims.My local parts fella couldn't find any in his books.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty spacer and shims OH MY!!!

Post  coopsta on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Den there should not be any shims in your rocker boxes? You can adjust the end play by taking a few thou off the spacers so they pull the shafts a little farther in. You can do it with a drill but any one you know with a lathe or a local machine shop will do it for a case of beer.
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 am

coopsta wrote: Den there should not be any shims in your rocker boxes? You can adjust the end play by taking a few thou off the spacers so they pull the shafts a little farther in. You can do it with a drill but any one you know with a lathe or a local machine shop will do it for a case of beer.
I know about countersinking the spacers.I've got new spacers coming to replace the old grooved ones in there.Don't have much faith in machine shops around here.Last one that I used cost me a set of S&S heads.I'll see what endplay is there w/ all the new pieces and thendecide .Been running shims in there forever and never had a problem.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Whats on for winter projects...where should I begin, gotta rebuild my 93, even tho it was supposedly built last year( yea right!), gonna install a Pro cluch( diaphram) or a york which is a Teds Rivera rippoff but its about 150 bucks cheaper, gotta install a belt drive and pull all mounting studs outta the tranny and reinstall them proper(leaking). Also got to put new return springs in my rear drum cause it aint releasing properly( only used front brakes mostly all last season cause I was too lazy to pull the wheel off and replace them. Also got to check, drain and refill front forks. I think thats about it but you know how it goes.....

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Winter is certainly here, and since I felt guilty today after being OVERserved by some cantankerous pricks on Friday nite drunken I decided to do some work today in the man cave. I touched up a scratch on the fender, wet sanded and cut polished the fender after that. Then I mounted my pillion seat on Little Wing (the fender) and then tackled the broken exhaust bracket that has been haunting me.
I will post pics in a bit. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:41 pm

While waiting on my new rear tire,I decided to make a few functional cosmetic changes to the scoot.
First : I removed the floorboard mounted pass. pegs and added some vintage extensions.Then I added some matching floorboard rubber to them.
[img]So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  New_fl12[/img]
[img]So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  New_fl13[/img]
Next : I beefed up the rear mount for my 2-up seat.I've been hose clamping the seat to the rack.This seat mounts to the tourpack rack through a hole in the center rail.Most racks w/ this hole are cracked or broken out.There's a stock piece that should go under the rail to bolt the seat to.The only metal thick enough in my piles was a short piece of railway track.I cut the length that I needed off the top piece of the track. Then filed it to fit,drilled 2 holes and fit it to a rack that I bought at the Tsawassen swap last year.You can see the end of it in the pic.The cross bolt holding the rack parts together also runs through the reinforcing piece.
[img]So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  New_se11[/img]
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty Clipboard

Post  jmac on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Did a bit of a make over on the 77 .new front end up graded to the newer suspension up graded the rear shocks to .had Pig build me a new tranny.Bought a little trailer for it.Started gathering up the parts to change up the front end on the FLT Roadking tanks and nacell.Looking for apes and a few other things. scratch jmac

jmac

Back to top Go down

So whats on the clipboard for winter projects  Empty Chain Problemo!!!

Post  Dennman on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Decided to clean my chain in place on the scoot .Thought that I had a riveted master link, so didn't want to screw w/ that.I'm brushing w/ kero and just about done and looky there a clip master.Closer look and WTF!!! The back piece w/ the pins is missing 1/4 of the plate. Shite!!! remember thinkin a clip link would be the better way to go if I needed to remove the chain while out on the Tour. It's hard to get another clip link anywhere for an X-ring chain.Fought to get the clip off (destroyed the clip) and remove the master.Ida never got it off on the road!!! In the process I see another link w/ a crack from pin to outer edge.Solves the problem w/ trying to find a clip masterlink.New chain w/ rivet master ordered.This is the second EK X-ring chain that i've cracked links on.Last one was just about every link.Going w/ a DID X-ring this time.$175 + tax.Might get it cheaper if I can get the tire at the same time and pay cash.
Also going to replace the copper inserts that I put into my rear Banana caliper.Ratman has machined me up some inserts .They're similar to what Shoveljockey's dad ,Jerry ,made for his.Not exactly the same size but same idea.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

good catch denn!,supposed to get into the +6,s this week,that should put the start of spring fever through the brain....sounds like youve been busy.
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm

kootenai wrote:good catch denn!,supposed to get into the +6,s this week,that should put the start of spring fever through the brain....sounds like youve been busy.
Nothing ever is easy workin on the scoot.While pullin the cracked chain w/ another chain linked to it, I lost the link holding them together.Spent an hour w/ a mirror and light trying to find it.Wigglin around under the scoot and there it is-laying 2 ft. behind the swingarm and under a chair.Relieved that I found it free and clear.It's been +6 -- +9 for a few days here.Not bad workin temp.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum