48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any more interesting projects going on out there?

Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty Any more interesting projects going on out there?

Post  sunnydog on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Just wondering what fellers might be up to this winter? Are you building a bike, a barn, a doghouse, a car, a case against the government? I'm interested, getting major cabin fever already....pics would be nice
Dog
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty Re: Any more interesting projects going on out there?

Post  Dennman on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:47 pm

I heard there was one fella buildin a set of floorboards for his scoot.Must be a senior since he used the vibration dampenin rubbers.
Coop's got most of my engine for new pistons and bottom end redo.Hope that Texas mickey don't get in the way!!  Wink
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty Re: Any more interesting projects going on out there?

Post  sunnydog on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Yes I heard about that guy, he is getting old and can't handle vibrations anymore, must be gettin' soft, or maybe that FLT has given him some wierd ideas...showed me a few pics of his footboards
Any more interesting projects going on out there? B4A085CE-4628-4383-8390-89904E7D25CA_zpscuvsjwwl

Any more interesting projects going on out there? AAFD90B9-200C-47C4-ADEC-7B388B2C4FF6_zps5hiohhls

Any more interesting projects going on out there? 28C79BCD-15D3-41F8-A6AA-2C5BF54E22D5_zpso3d7jeud
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Nice work sunny.I'm a fan of those 1/2 moon boards.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 am

Thx Denn lookin forward to testing comfort on the road....hopefully before spring
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Getting the LBV chain tensioner working again for the shovel. Also got one of those high priced space batteries and made a balsa wood pod to surround it in my FX battery box. The fucking thing weighs 4.5 pounds.... I thought the cardboard box was empty when I picked it up.

My Odyssey AGM lasted 7 years - it is still good to go on a load test for a stock bike (low green on the load tester) but refuses to turn the stroker over any more.
The new bat cranks it just fine - worth the big bucks - will see. If you don't use the proper charger it gets fucked, if you discharge it too much it gets fucked, if you leave it outside in winter it can get fucked. Their (Anti Gravity) customer service is zero, I have sent them 3 emails asking about a warranty in Canada and have had no reply. I bought it directly from the only Canadian Distributor (via a local Jap motorcycle shop).

Nothing else on to do on the shovel. I may add an extra ground wire to the starter housing and finally put on the battery disconnect I have had in the toolbox for a couple of years.

Putting some Screamin' Eagle heads on the evo garbage barge. Spent last trip home scraping, grinding, sanding, polishing the fucking powder coating out of the combustion chambers - what is HD thinking. If you order powder coated heads they do pretty much everything; intake, exhaust and combustion chamber as well. How fucked is that? Took the archaic guide seals off and put viton ones on while I was at it. HD still uses the 50 cent seals from 1982 on their SE evo heads.
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Paul,your mentioning the Battery reminded me that I have to get mine on the maintainer.Hope to squeeze another year outa my acid/lead.Been close to 5 yrs. and still holds good voltage.Just about every part, that I've taken off to get at the cases, is getting a little clean-up of burrs,being replaced w/ new parts that I've got stored or slightly modified for better function.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:12 pm

If you can't get another year out of that lead-acid I would recommend Odyssey very highly. The price has come down on the AGM batteries.
I think the last Odyssey I got for the evo was around 125 bucks. It's not 80 for a lead-acid but I leave mine in the bike all year round with a tender and as I mentioned have got 7 years out of it.
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:13 pm

ratman wrote:If you can't get another year out of that lead-acid I would recommend Odyssey very highly.  The price has come down on the AGM batteries.  
I think the last Odyssey I got for the evo was around 125 bucks.  It's not 80 for a lead-acid but I leave mine in the bike all year round with a tender and as I mentioned have got 7 years out of it.
Little more expensive per year for the AGM.Don't have spare cash for either new at this time.With Christmas,taxes,truck & bike insurance coming up in the near & distant future,it won't be til next summer or later for that to happen.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm

If your Lead-acid turns out to be toast if someone driving through here grabs it for you my old AGM should still have a couple of good years left in it.  Like I mentioned after I charged it up I put it on my load tester and it still shows OK.

Odyssey 535 - here are the specs, I think the terminals are backwards from an FL battery though:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc535.htm

You are welcome to it if required.

I looked at the weather forecast (and outside) after I typed this and went and put the decker on the bike lift. Looks like I won;t get a ride in before I leave end of month but I won't start taking parts of just yet......
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks for the offer,Paul.Pretty sure this battery will get me through another year.I've got a good charging system and my kicker works well if it's needed.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 am

Sounds like lotsa projects in store....which is great! It's meditation interspersed with filling the swear jar....

I found these today and got a good deal on 'em...the larger of the two is about 1.75" diameter and should allow long runs without having to refill...the experiment continues

Any more interesting projects going on out there? 3C42A9F8-56E3-471D-98E5-D18A62389D10_zpswh7zu1az
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 am

"long runs without havin to refill" Question Only thing that comes to mind is a hash burner that I made out of one of these 40 yrs. ago.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:51 am

This is the experiment
Any more interesting projects going on out there? AAFD90B9-200C-47C4-ADEC-7B388B2C4FF6_zps5hiohhls

Running the machine oiler onto primary chain
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:23 am

Once the idea is there ,it can be made to work one way or another.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:01 am

Coopsta suggested so I found an oiler and ran it last year...just a bit too small, had to refill with oil every hour or so...this larger one should give me a couple hours range, and I don't mind stopping every couple hours for a rest-up anyway. cheers
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 am

Back in the 80s ,I rode w/ a fella called Big Bird (Cat Yellow Scoot).He had a pump oil can mounted just behind the oil bag on the left hand side of his scoot.The flex spout ran back to his final drive chain.He'd give it a couple pumps every so often.This was back before O-ring chains were popular.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:48 pm

sunnydog wrote:This is the experiment

Running the machine oiler onto primary chain

Thanks for posting that - thought they were strange looking for bongs.....

Except for the top holes in the inner primary guess there is no way to seal the old style tins up?
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Pretty tough...now when folks point out the leak I'm comforted to know it's working
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Baker makes an all aluminum Tin Type Primary system for only about 2000 USD, hahahahaha.
http://bakerdrivetrain.com/tin-type-primary
Does not include either inspection or derby cover.......

Nostalgia does have a price don't you know Smile
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Lol...yah Paul the trans and primary combo I'd like from Baker is much more expensive than what I paid for my Shovel....so it's not happenin!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah I looked at one of their transmissions for a long time.  It will never happen even at oilfield trash wage.
I did buy a set of their kicker gears though.  Don't want any more knee surgery.

Now here's a quick project I did yesterday that also covers Shovelheads and Viton seals / seal driver.

I was putting some Comp Cams Viton seals on the evo heads and originally purchased the installer that Comp says is for their seals.
After mashing two seals up (I bought eight) I looked at how the installer was (not) working.  The way it is designed it puts all the pressure on the Viton/spring part of the seal rather than the metal part.  By the time the seal is driven down on the guide the top Viton part is crushed or damaged beyond use and the metal section is deformed.  Here is what happens when you install with all the pressure on the top of the seal

Any more interesting projects going on out there? C3602972-5F3B-4C8D-BEA4-DA74AFC32109_zpstynbzamf

Here is the Comp Cams installer:

Any more interesting projects going on out there? FB73548A-909B-4DB3-9074-874F15AD4CA0_zpswnj9usju
Any more interesting projects going on out there? 1AEAAFDA-3061-4B07-B3F4-5A9A09CF4F03_zpsjklbiwwt

Wound up making my own installer from some aluminum stock I had.  Made a step in the installer so there is a snug fit where the Viton and spring fits, but all the pressure is applied to the little outside metal edge of the seal - no pressure at all on the Viton/spring section.  Also made the overall diameter of the ID of the driver closer to the OD of the seal (allowing for expansion when it its driven on the guide). Worked like a charm.

Any more interesting projects going on out there? 41C49F58-D1E8-472E-80D6-88DDA5DDCBFE_zpspyfb8a7x
Any more interesting projects going on out there? 8BBE6496-5A4A-466E-9274-4D7BC4D2BAE4_zpsrf5h3cio
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 pm

That's the way ta do it! Good job and another tool in the kit
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 pm

It's good that you have the toolin and skills to make the proper tool.Wonder how many fellas have destroyed their set of seals usin that fancy comp cam tool.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:49 am

The tool is 20 bucks or so but it should still work with the seals as advertised. I suspect it is OK for the normal HD/other brand seals where most of the top is metal.

Skills - well, I cut stuff until it fits. Easier than a lot of measuring, lol Smile
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 pm

ratman wrote:The tool is 20 bucks or so but it should still work with the seals as advertised.  I suspect it is OK for the normal HD/other brand seals where most of the top is metal.

Skills - well, I cut stuff until it fits.  Easier than a lot of measuring, lol Smile

Is there another way? Suspect No
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Apparently not.  What a Face
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty Notice anything about this pic?

Post  sunnydog on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:56 am

Any more interesting projects going on out there? A26BF19D-C2C4-4FED-B049-9548DC26074F_zpskqkqofea
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:17 am

looks like a mocked up big inch flattie motor in that frame..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty That's correct sir

Post  sunnydog on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 am

Any more interesting projects going on out there? 74E67628-956F-4258-B5C0-A8E4747B54C4_zpsnkv3smcn
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:33 pm

looks right at home in der,man!
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bromanguydude on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 pm

That's a smile maker if I've ever seen one

bromanguydude

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 am

Will be much more smiley when it's got the guts in it and rolling....another couple seasons no doubt...sigh....
but it will be an experience and-a-half getting it to that point.... sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty it will be a good one man!!

Post  kootenai on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:50 pm

kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Empty Recycled Discards.

Post  Dennman on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Finally got a pic of my creation out of recycled pallets and old roofing shakes.It was full in Oct. but we've just about emptied it.Had to build it for the extra wood that wouldn't fit into the already full shed.

Any more interesting projects going on out there? Mlna0010
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Nice shyed man!!!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum