48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Kootenay toy run

5 posters

Go down

West Kootenay toy run Empty West Kootenay toy run

Post  Roadhammer Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Anyone going? [next sunday in nelson]

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

West Kootenay toy run Empty Re: West Kootenay toy run

Post  Dennman Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Too far for me and The Weerier.Got the Albernie toy Run on the 19th.Last ride of the year for us.
Engine comin out of the frame ...again!!!!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:36 am

Engine comin out of the frame ...again!!!![/quote]

Bummer....got a plan?

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:40 am

Roadhammer wrote:Engine comin out of the frame ...again!!!!

Bummer....got a plan?[/quote]

Heads are still good.Needs a bottom end rebuild.Bad clunk in there.Bore cylinders?New pistons for sure.
Problem is to find a shop that I have faith in to do more than a "good enough" job.My local wrench retired and sold off all his tooling and parts.
Thinkin I'll have to ship it out somewhere.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  ratman Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:12 am

It's similar around here Dennis.  My Indy can do the bottom end work but the machine shop that everyone used to use for cylinders and heads closed down and the only one that will bore cylinders etc charges twice the price (he has enough regular work so he doesn't want the BS bike work).

I think Big Dave sent his cylinders and pistons to the coast?

Luckily I can do my own head work unless I had to put in new seats (the Neway setup I have is not great to do new seats, just refresh old ones). If Dave and I can figure out how to do guides then it's not rocket science, lol. The Sunnen P-190 kit works well.
I have the sockets and heavy torque wrench for a bottom end but not the weighing kit etc.  My lathe is big enough to use the centers for the wheels/shaft truing but without the scale and counterbalance kit  I'm stuffed for balancing.  One day I expect.....
ratman
ratman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:36 pm

My best option is to send the engine minus the heads to Eyecandy Customs in Smithers.I've known Sam for 12 yrs. and he's done me great service on 2-1 Kraft Tech pipes and a warantee on my buggered Big Bore 88" S&S heads.He got me the complete (both heads) new kit for the defective rear head, that had pulling inserts.He's an S&S dealer and can get parts easily.
He does well in drag racin up north and builds his own engines.
I have yet to get in touch w/ him for this work.Will get serious about that after the Port Albernie toy run.
jmac has a couple buddies that can do the work also.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I have all the gear to balance and set up bottom end, rebuild the rods, and redo the cone bushing. You buy the Pistons and send the block out west. If the rod races are within spec I can lap them and fit oversize rollers to them and install new bushings on the small ends.  It's only going to cost you whatever parts you need and a couple beer.

I'm not sure how reputable that guy is but he's been nigger rigging and binder twining my shit together for years!!! LOL!!!!

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:10 pm

coopsta wrote:I have all the gear to balance and set up bottom end, rebuild the rods, and redo the cone bushing. You buy the Pistons and send the block out west. If the rod races are within spec I can lap them and fit oversize rollers to them and install new bushings on the small ends.  It's only going to cost you whatever parts you need and a couple beer.

I'm not sure how reputable that guy is but he's been nigger rigging and binder twining my shit together for years!!!  LOL!!!!

Coop
I'm not sure how reputable that guy is but he's been nigger rigging and binder twining my shit together for years!!!  LOL!!!!
^^^Is this that fella from Brooks,Alta. or am I out in left field.If he will do the work then; since he's such a hard-core Shovel promotein rider,I'd have no qualms about the quality of work.
My biggest mindfuck is tryin to figure, if I need a rebore to +.020,what pistons i'll need to get back to the compression ratio that was there when I got the S&S Big Bore 88" kit back in 2003 (or there abouts).
Larry said I should at least replace the pistons, that are in there now, with KBs.I've tried to relate the KBs to the S&S pistons. I can't find the info on the S&S site for the length of the stroke for the Big Bore "88, to determine which KBs to get.Although it would be nice to get the KBs ,I was totally satisfied with the S&S ones that came with the kit.The ones in there now are not acceptable.They look like short skirt stroker pistons.They got put in when the rear wrist pin bushing was replaced in March 2014.
Both wrist pin bushings will need replacement.Undoubtedly the big ends need work.I wouldn't be surprised if the crank pin needs replacein too.
When I started to think of all the parts that need work or replacein,I considered getting a whole new wheel/rod assembly for the 88",if that would be cheaper for me.
I'd really like to get an idea of what it'll cost to get the parts so I can start pinchin $$$s to be able to get er done.Can't seem to get ahead to have cash for repairs and the tour like I use too.
I was plannin to just pull the heads and boxes and send the rest crated up to where ever by what ever company can handle the heavy package.Having never done this I'm not sure who can handle the package.
My insurance runs ot Oct 5 and thereafter the Weerier will be dismantled .
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Well Den, probably easiest thing is ship cylinders in one box and bottom end in another. Unless you can find a reputable dude that can bore the cylinders out there?
As far as what is more cost effective, lol, purchasing a complete rotating assembly will set you back probably well over 1500 bucks. 1000-1400 US bucks. plus shipping thats T&O wheels. Maybe you can find S&S cheaper up here in a kit but not likely. most likely your sprocket shaft is fine, pinion may be wore but its only 100-120 bucks for S&S, crank pin is 100-120 for S&S and a set of rollers about 30 bucks, new races for big end of rods 40-50 bucks, new bushings for small end 40 bucks. Just rattling off top of head all prices high. so rebuild flywheels for under 400 bucks? thats over 1000 dollars cheaper than buying new rotating assembly. set of pistons probably set you back 300 but you need that either way? Unless you find a deal on inter web? Whole motor james gasket kit 146 bucks

Coop
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

West Kootenay toy run Empty Coopsta

Post  jmac11 Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:31 am

You should be out here coops We are stuck in the hole, sour gas kicks and l0oseing fluid. The wire line guys have been here for 10 days.There dropping bombs down the well to perforate the drill steel so they can cement the hole off.They had one armed and hanging last nite and top drive went down.One great big fuck up out here LMFAO scratch jmac

jmac11

Back to top Go down

Post  coopsta Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:06 am

What wireline company they using ? Is this out at fox creek
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 am

So did ya go to the Toy Run Hammer?
Kind of a pissy raingeared-up run for me to the Port Alberni Toy Run last Sun.My baldin back tire gave my sphincter a workout from the many unintended forays into the oncomein lane.Those wet "tar snake" road patches and rubber railway x-ins give no traction in the wet corners.Fortunately the run from the Little Englishman River Falls to PA had dry roads.
Once over the hump and comin into PA ,the skies broke open with big blue patches.Decent day over there and on the ride back.

Enough of my engine woes on this thread. Gonna start another one for my inquiries and info.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

West Kootenay toy run Empty hyway 40 bombs

Post  jmac11 Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 pm

I,m south of Grande prairie on hyway 40 about 100 k on the husky rd and there using Command wire guys.They all ways seem to send me to these problem child wells. scratch jmac

jmac11

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:20 pm

jmac11 wrote:I,m south of Grande prairie on hyway 40 about 100 k on the husky rd and there using Command wire guys.They all ways seem to send me to these problem child wells. scratch jmac
So ya fit right in ,johnny!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down