48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once more just so I'm clear on this

+2
zaac
sunnydog
6 posters

Go down

Once more just so I'm clear on this Empty Once more just so I'm clear on this

Post  sunnydog Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:38 pm

If I go with a higher number teeth on trans sprocket (say a 24 instead of 23) it will tend to give me higher gearing therefore potentially faster cruising speed? I'm set at 51 on the rear juicer. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Once more just so I'm clear on this Empty Re: Once more just so I'm clear on this

Post  zaac Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm

You are clear on that but will need to make up some kind of a case saver to keep the chain from wearing into your inner primary/starter housing.
zaac
zaac

Back to top Go down

Once more just so I'm clear on this Empty Re: Once more just so I'm clear on this

Post  kootenai Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 pm

and a lower rpm at cruising speed,thats what i find with the 24,51 set up,i found cruisen the lake road, 4th was to high and third was to slow,gonna go back to my original set up this winter and go with a 24T 49T set and see how it goes seem to recall it was pretty good,,,,,
i loved the 23T 51T combo it felt great along the lake and kept you in the powerband when cruisen at 100Km and you pulled out to pass,it felt really peppy,,but when you cuised at 110Km and more i did not like how high my engine was in the rpms,,,,might be my paranoia but didnt want to take a piston in the balls either....... affraid
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

My 24/51 combo on the 88" is good for cruisin at about 70 mph.Any higher speed and the engine sounds topped out rpm wise and noisy.Thought about the 49 rear but don't know how it'd be takin off from a dead stop w/ the weight that I pack.The homebuilt case saver and a rear chain tensioner have eliminated the inner primary/starter housing wear.As it is I have to keep the RPMs up on long hill climbs (like the Salmo/Creston pass) or downshifting to 3rd is required.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Thx guys, and good to hear from you finally Zaac! I'm running a bearing support and tin inner outer setup so I think it'll be alright to run a 24 without alteration there. I'd like to try it anyway to see the diff. Meanwhile there's some other things to work on in the shed sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Once more just so I'm clear on this Empty combo play

Post  coopsta Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 am

Well sunny your running 3.41 final ratio with the 23/51 assuming 1.54 primary ratio. Going to the 24/51 it will drop you to a 3.27 final ratio so you would be at 2710 rpm at 60 mph and at 70 mph you will be at 3161 rpm, 3613 rpm at 80 mph. Now I believe I got the gearing correct with the rpm but I could be out a couple hundred one way or the other Very Happy
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 am

Im running 22/51 to haul my fat ass up the hills outta Osoyoos ..................... Wait i dont live there any more , going to 22/48 this year . the 22/51 combo was fun off the line -scared the ricers but was the shits above 60 mph

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am

Prior to having the juice brake 51 tooth setup, I was running a 23/49 setup, and liked it for most part except highway speeds above 65 she always feels like she's revvin...maybe its the vibration and like Hawg stated there awhile back, top motor mount needs some gussetting/strengthening to kill that vibe a bit. Damn these things are pretty big inch bikes no matter how ya look at it, should be able to run 70 with no problem anyway. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum