48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And it begins.

+7
Shakerattlenroll
h.d.ryder
kootenai
jmac
Big Dave
sunnydog
Dennman
11 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Re: And it begins.

Post  jmac Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 am

Dennman wrote:
sunnydog wrote:
sunnydog wrote:Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you AND JMAC!!!...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
Glad you ammended that.Meant to do that last night.Johnny did alot less wrenchin on his '77 than i did to do the miles.
Ya but I payed some one to tidy up the 77 before the trip:scratch: jmac

jmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 pm

jmac wrote:
Dennman wrote:
sunnydog wrote:
sunnydog wrote:Good to hear Denn...I don't know anybody rides a Shovel far as you AND JMAC!!!...I'm thinkin that's reason enough to stockpile the way ya do sunny 
Glad you ammended that.Meant to do that last night.Johnny did alot less wrenchin on his '77 than i did to do the miles.
Ya but I payed some one to tidy up the 77 before the trip:scratch: jmac
Well I hope ya didn't pay him much since you had that electric gremlin and those poor/non-existant exhaust gaskets in the scoot.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Bearing with Me!

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Ye Ha! cheers 
Went to my local NAPA for bearings expecting Chinee,Mex mix or Question 
Was surprised to actually get a pair of Japanese bearings and races.Last set in their bin.The rest were Chinee. tongue 
Discovered a bit of a misboxed race for them.Apparently someone had returned a set of races; but, put the bearings in the  race boxes. Doh Exclamation  Rolling Eyes 
 I'm goin ta let paint on the trees set for another day before I press that lower bearing on.

Also picked up some solid thread inserts for the leg fender threads.Had to buy an "X" drill bit and a 7/16"-14 bottom tap to install them.This will be a learning experience.These inserts have 4 locking rods to drive down into 7/16"-14 threads after the insert is set to depth.Stops the insert from spinnin in or out.Will red loctite them also.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Every once in awhile a guy gets lucky with that stuff!!  Go huntin Chinee and come home w a Jap, or a Yank (timken)...though I spies they make some in Chinois as well Mad 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 pm

sunnydog wrote:Every once in awhile a guy gets lucky with that stuff!!  Go huntin Chinee and come home w a Jap, or a Yank (timken)...though I spies they make some in Chinois as well Mad 
In this small town,It doesn't happen often.I was surprised that they had'em in stock.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Still Bearing w/ Me?

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Inserting the races into the cups w/ my High -Tech installing tools.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst10

The top cup is assembled already.The holes drilled in the cups to facilitate race removal are more evident in the lower empty cup.
The nylon anvil, hammer and block of wood get the first part of assembly done.Hand start the race into the cup and set race on the nylon anvil.With the block of cedar on top of the cup,tap until the race is flush with the cup edge.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst11

Now using my fancy race press as shown below in situ.Tighten the nuts until the race bottoms in the cup.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst12

I used a similar thicker threaded tool to pull the cups back into the neck.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst13

Grease the bearings and use another high teck tool to press the lower bearing back onto the spindle.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst14

Drop the top bearing in the cup and insert the spindle into the neck.Tighten down the bearing preload/dust shield nut onto the top bearing until the top bearing seats on the spindle.Dropped the top tree on for now.Tired of bangin my head on it every time I walk under where it was hangin.Finally put the large stem nut on to hold the top tree in place.

And it begins. - Page 2 Reinst15

That's it for today.Next a test assembly of the insert to see what problems I may run into gettin them into the legs.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm likin your tools, using local woods too, like the 100 mile diet!! albino 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 pm

sunnydog wrote:I'm likin your tools, using local woods too, like the 100 mile diet!! albino 
Chose the soft cedar for it's shock absorbing.Didn't want to bugger up my fancy tool.An old mouse pad on a steel plate cushioned the paint.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:08 pm

So.... bounce 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Test Run on Inserts and Cowbell Prep

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:06 pm

sunnydog wrote:So.... bounce 
Tried a sample drill,tap and insert in a chunk of aluminum rod.Pretty straight forward. Very Happy 
Now i've got to get a template to get the holes in the right local to mount the fender straight.Headin out soon to my other storage spot to find a couple front fender mounts that I salvaged off the first fender that I ran 31 yrs.ago.
 Then it'll be woodshed  (more like closet) machinein at it's best.  Laughing 

Did a little preassembly work on the new 4" over cowbells.I've had these for a few years on the shelf.Gottem of Linus on the US site.Cost me a small fortune w/ him shippin UPS Exclamation  Shocked   I run some thin 1/8" stick on weather stripping around the inside of the bottom edge. prevents the ting tink that I've experienced before.
Also with smear some clear silicone inside up under the top bolting circumference.Cuts down vibration and extends the time before the thin shit tin,that they makem outa now,starts cracking at the welded on nuts.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 pm

THAT'S where that fuckin' ting tink sound is comin from? Fuck that sound been buggin me for yrs on my front end and it never occurred to me scratch , well damn that's a great idea, use Wx strippin' to quiet that down, hmmm this is good thread, me likem' muchly... Idea 
Woodshed machinin' yep, almost like prison escape diggin out with a spoon in confined space. What a Face 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:23 pm

sunnydog wrote:THAT'S where that fuckin' ting tink sound is comin from?  Fuck that sound been buggin me for yrs on my front end and it never occurred to me scratch , well damn that's a great idea, use Wx strippin' to quiet that down, hmmm this is good thread, me likem' muchly... Idea 
Woodshed machinin' yep, almost like prison escape diggin out with a spoon in confined space. What a Face 
Yeah those bells don't always bolt up straight.I've had to give them a little squeeze in the past to get them so they don't scrub the legs.

Well damned if I could find the fender mounts that i'm sure were in an old fender in storage.Did a little diggin in the scrap metal piles and came up with some 1/4'" plate on some BIG U-bolts.As a bonus there was a piece of channel with a radius (almost perfect to fit the leg) cut in it.I was trying to figure how to keep the leg square to the drill bit and now ,w/ a wee file job,I have the makins of a bed for the leg.I'll add some rubber tube to the arcs to give a good non slip grip onto the leg.
My project for tomorrow-make the drilling template.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Yer busier than a cut cat at a friggin....
More preoccupied than a grizzly in a pig barn...
More energetic than a deviant in a whore house...
Happier than a Shovel rider in a junk yard Razz 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 pm

sunnydog wrote:Yer busier than a cut cat at a friggin....
More preoccupied than a grizzly in a pig barn...
More energetic than a deviant in a whore house...
Happier than a Shovel rider in a junk yard Razz 
Juggling my time w/ fabbin again.In the process of one last search, for the elusive bent flamed fender, I noticed a tarp that covers the old camper parts storage, has disintegrated.Have to procure another before the rains start again.

Damn always seems to be something to cut into the Shovel time.  silent

Lookin out doors this a.m. and now I remember that I have a front brake pad grindin.More delay I'm afraid!
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Back to Template and Slider Support

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Well bought pads for truck.Put in the side that was grindin.Not too difficult this time.Went to put in the other side and there was still 1/4+" of pad there.Decided to leave em in.Took a test ride and all works good .Straight line brakein w/ hands off the wheel.

Put a temp tarp over the camper.Had my old Tour tent tarp layin around so used it.I already bought a new Tour tarp awhile back.

Then I had time to file that U-bracket so the slider fits into it.I'll have to round off a few sharp edges and add something to the edge that the slider will sit on.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey Denn good ta see yer hard at it...all i got to this day was a load o firewood!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Tho Daneen and I did stop in at Koot and Maye's for a visit, checked out the farm critters when they went to feed and water 'em, had a couple rums...nice day
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Workin on the Template.

Post  Dennman Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Lucked out w/ the 1/4" u-bolt plate havin 3" centers on the holes.Same spacin as the fender mountin holes in the legs. cheers
Did abit of work huntin down bushings to make drill guides.Found some bushings and old bearings that fit nicely in the 1/2" plate holes to get them down to 5/16" bolt size.  Very Happy 
I'll drill the legs out w/ the 5/16" first then chase the holes w/ the 7/16" (actually an  X  bit ) for the insert 7/16"-14 tap.Only have to drill down 9/16" for the inserts.
 If these little gems don't stand up to the Road Trip  Surprised  then there'll still be a narrow hole for JB weld or Heli-coils.

Will post my template pics when I get it to final assembly.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Best Laid Plans of Mice and Shovelman.............

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Well.........Ah........Where to start........?

Well here's all my toolin to get 'er done.

And it begins. - Page 2 Thread10 
The template at centershows the top w/ the spacer/washers beside it.When bolted to the legs,the washers go between the slider and template.Although it's upside down here the pic shows how the washers are set.

And it begins. - Page 2 Thread13

After much frustration and expleteive deletein I got my template in place on the right slider and centered on the drill press for the 5/16" pilot drill bit.Luckily 1 thread in the leg was still decent enough to hold the template in place while I drilled out the other wallered one.

After even more frustration and swearin to get the other hole drilled w/ the pilot,I couldn't get the X drill centered through the template without tearin it apart and losein my center point of the 5/16" drilled hole in the slider.

So I threw caution to the wind and set the template aside.W/ the X bit I eyeballed where to drill and did it.After finishing the right leg I come to realize the template would not clear the brake tab on the left slider without makin up long spacers.

Since both holes in the left were decently straight  (only stripped out),I eyeballed the location for the X bit and drilled.

Used a tapered 7/16"-14 tapered tap to start the threadin and switched to a 7/16'-14 bottom tap to finish off.

Test run the insert dry then red loctited it in .Made up a 1/4" bolt stub w/ washer to drive down the lockin keys.

And it begins. - Page 2 Thread14

All done they look like this.

And it begins. - Page 2 Thread11
And it begins. - Page 2 Thread12

Test fit both on the fender and they fit.  cheers
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes woodshed engineering...I like it...keepin it simple...and with two scoops of raisins to boot! geek 
Excellent job Denn.  So you are re-using your current fender right?
And did ya get yer fairing finished up? sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:19 pm

that's pretty awesome denn,,cheers man!!cheers 
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 pm

sunnydog wrote:Yes woodshed engineering...I like it...keepin it simple...and with two scoops of raisins to boot! geek 
Excellent job Denn.  So you are re-using your current fender right?
And did ya get yer fairing finished up? sunny
Yup!Using my old fender.Just banged out the dints w/ a rubber mallet.Unfortunately I over banged one dint and cracked the paint.Gobbed on some auto paint to try and stop it from chippin off totally.It'd be Twoney size if it comes off.I'll try a little sandin on the gob to make it a little smoother.Just another Weerier road trophy. Wink 

No    Haven't done any more to the fairing......yet! Might still get a chance w/ the weather we've been havin.Was hopein the cold snap woulda killed of the flyin bugs.Still some little bastards flyin around when it warms up.Hate tryin to sand them outa paint.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 pm

kootenai wrote:that's pretty awesome denn,,cheers man!!cheers 
Thanks Koot. Very Happy 

Lookin at the finished pics ,I noticed that when I took the brake off that one bushing came outa the slider.No biggy.Seems to me it was an easy push the last time I changed it.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Cleanup and Prep Bells

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Did a little scuff mark cleanup on the sliders and siliconed the upper inside of the Cow Bells.As mentioned ,I figure this cuts down vibration and the resulting cracks in the thin metal.
 Now just have to add oil to the legs and I can get to the assembly of the front end.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 pm

your doing great my friend here i am with my first shop and i haven't done dick , mined you i have no heat in the shop and its been averaging 15 below
Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Big Dave wrote:your doing great my friend here i am with my first shop and i haven't done dick , mined you i have no heat in the shop and its been averaging 15 below
Dave
That's a wee bit cold for wrenchin.Cold metal is not nice to handle.I don't have heat either and by 3:00 my toes have had enough.If it gets too cold and I want to get something finished up,I do have a directional parabolic heater that I use.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:10 am

I use one o' them electric powered oil heaters, radiator style...was about 40 bucks at Home Depot and keep my 12 x 22 shop warm enough to work in all winter. If you're drinkin beer in there sitting its cool enough you need a sweater, but if you're working steady its just fine. Seems to be pretty efficient too, has a thermostat on it.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty She's Got Legs!

Post  Dennman Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:51 pm

and we know how to use them.
Flushed out the tubes and sliders,added 10 oz. of non-detergent 30W oil and proceeded to fight the buggers back into the trees.Used the pinch bolt screwed into the front of the lower and run up against a washer in the slot,to spread the lower tube hole abit.Even then it was a grunt.Twistin the tube plug w/ a spanner helped alot.Got em up into the top tree just far enough to finish pullin them in w/ the cap nut.Had a special bolt that i'd ground a few thread off ,in the top nacelle mount hole,up against the plug flat to keep the tube from spinnin as it was pulled up into place.

The cowbells were already mounted.Just a small tweek on the right one to get equal clearance, from the slider, all the way around.

Now to the fender.Clean up, remount all the chrome, maybe redo the mudflap and remount it.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Settin Neck Bearing Preload/Fallaway

Post  Dennman Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Figured I'd best set the preload before I forgot and got all the other parts in the way.Hung my tire on for weight and tried to turn the preload nut/dust cover.Have to use a thin screwdriver and hammer.I don't have the notched nut on mine.Anyway when I was checking the fallaway specs,I saw a comment about loosenin off the pinch bolts.I didn't see the reason for this until I was tryin to do it.Then Idea  Idea  Exclamation . Aha!!  If the pinch bolts aren't loose the bottom tree won't move.Loosenin the pinch bolts allows the bottom tree to slide up the tubes and thus tighten the bearings in the races.
30+ yrs. and if I ever loosened the pinch bolts before then I've forgotten.Not a job I do every year.As mentioned before ,It's been ~5 yrs. since the last bearing redo.The grease was still in place and in good condition.Pretty sure I didn't have the preload right last time.Could be why the races showed the bearing wear spots.Might explain why I had a low speed parkin lot wobble when the scoot was fully loaded and the high speed (over 65) wobble. Rolling Eyes
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Good to hear yer still learning Denn...Roadslayer will be tighter than ever!
She must be lookin somewhat complete again...
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:49 am

sunnydog wrote:Good to hear yer still learning Denn...Roadslayer will be tighter than ever!
She must be lookin somewhat complete again...
Not even close to lookin complete.Takes longer puttin it back together my way than tearin it down.
Gotta repolish the nacelle and work on the fender.New rubber front and back.New clutch fibers and rear chain tensioner to work on too.Figureing out the fairing mountin bracket position may take awhile.
Also got a broken weld on the rear bag support to deal with.May not do that since it means removal of the rear fender and all that wiring.I put a hose clamp repair on it a couple years ago and it still holds,so.........?
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Lookin More Like the Weerier!

Post  Dennman Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Managed,without too much hassle,to get the spots/signal lights,wind deflectors and fairing brackets all properly spaced and attached to the nacelle.
Couple minor brain farts putting the first one on backwards and then realized after I turned it around that it was for the other side.  Embarassed  
Looks good now.
Proceed to plug in the wiring to the appropriate spots on the terminal board and wire end connectors. Mad  I can't find the male plastic terminal housing for the spot light wire ends.I had to remove it from the wires when I removed the banged-up spots.It mates w/ another female already plumbed into the scoot.I'll be huntin high and low for that piece.Need it before I install the headlight.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

The Devils in the Details! Twisted Evil 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

And it begins. - Page 2 Empty Low and HIGH!

Post  Dennman Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Well I tore the top of my work bench apart.On my hands and knees,I peered under everythin.Looked in the stash pile of headlights and signals.I'll be damned. The last place that I looked on the wall ina plastic bag labelled,"Stop and signal mount accessories" was where that little plastic connector housin was found.
So now all front lights are on and workin.Got all my connections in the terminal block right the first time.
Tried the chrome frame, for the fairing windshield, against the fairin brackets on the scoot.Not bad a lineup.Will be able to get the shield mounted now after a little old foam strip clean-off.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 am

How about some progress pics Denn...so we can give approval Laughing 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 am

sunnydog wrote:How about some progress pics Denn...so we can give approval Laughing 
Just a sec .Gotta go to the US site  Arrow  and find some of their lameass excuses, for not postin pics ,to copy. pirat

And that was your 666th posting on here!!! Twisted Evil
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 am

Damn, devil in the details shoulda been 666, oh well here's 667 to get rid of that bad luck!!! Yes I'd be interested in lame-ass excuses as well! My excuse for the next while will be shovelling snow, we got about 16 inches of snow yesterday. santa santa santa 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:16 am

sunnydog wrote:Damn, devil in the details shoulda been 666, oh well here's 667 to get rid of that bad luck!!!  Yes I'd be interested in lame-ass excuses as well!  My excuse for the next while will be shovelling snow, we got about 16 inches of snow yesterday. santa santa santa 
We were suppose to get snow last night but now it looks like the 13th will be the first dusting
. rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  rendeer  santa
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 am

Dennman wrote:
sunnydog wrote:Damn, devil in the details shoulda been 666, oh well here's 667 to get rid of that bad luck!!!  Yes I'd be interested in lame-ass excuses as well!  My excuse for the next while will be shovelling snow, we got about 16 inches of snow yesterday. santa santa santa 
We were suppose to get snow last night but now it looks like the 13th will be the first dusting
Which one is vixen? And wtf is a blitzen? Suspect 
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:04 pm

sunnydog wrote:
Dennman wrote:
Which one is vixen?  And wtf is a blitzen? Suspect 
Vixen's the one right in front of Santa.As for Blitzen it's kinda got a bad connotation from WWII.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum