48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post!

+6
jmac
Roadhammer
Big Dave
sunnydog
kootenai
Dennman
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Empty Re: Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post!

Post  Big Dave Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 pm

The 6 has .510 lift and .262 duration its now spec'ed as a 7
a bit more lift and duration then your b but the book says good torque from 2200 rpm up so it would be good for a heavey bike i would think

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Empty Re: Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post!

Post  zaac Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:28 pm

In theory those cams should drop your cranking pressure another 5 psi. Not the best idea if you want your power down low. But then the extra lift might make up for some of it. Then you're looking at more valvetrain wear also.

Is your cam on its last legs?

I like the duration of the S&S 514 but next time might try a slightly lower lift to get as many miles as possible outa the valvetrain. I'm one of them COB. Smile
zaac
zaac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:28 pm

zaac wrote:In theory those cams should drop your cranking pressure another 5 psi. Not the best idea if you want your power down low. But then the extra lift might make up for some of it. Then you're looking at more valvetrain wear also.

Is your cam on its last legs?

I like the duration of the S&S 514 but next time might try a slightly lower lift to get as many miles as possible outa the valvetrain. I'm one of them COB. Smile

My B is still in decent shape.I'm just trying to get an idea what these would run like an a long distance tourer.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 pm

How you making out with the engine Denn?...inquiring minds want to know alien

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Roadhammer wrote:How you making out with the engine Denn?...inquiring minds want to know alien

I haven't heard from Hein since the 19th.Pistons and bushing were on order then.Hoping the next call that I get is "It's ready."

This waiting has given me time to repair the snow damaged greenhouse and hayshed.Still got a new tarp roof to fab up for Brenda's outside summer room.Also the tent platform needs some enlarging for the bigger summer bedroom tent.These projects have kept my mind off the FABULOUS weather that we've had out here.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am

Here's hopin he gets that stuff together for ya soon Denn, gotta take advantage of that fine weather. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Latest update from Hein:

The oversized bushing is in and reamed Perfectly. cheers

New barrel nuts w/ 7/16" hex are in.

Pistons ETA next Tues./Wed. Barrels are sitting near his hone ready to be done.

All assembled by the end of next week. Very Happy

My next phone call should be "Done". bounce
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 am

Dennman wrote: Latest update from Hein:

The oversized bushing is in and reamed Perfectly. cheers

New barrel nuts w/ 7/16" hex are in.

Pistons ETA next Tues./Wed. Barrels are sitting near his hone ready to be done.

All assembled by the end of next week. Very Happy

My next phone call should be "Done". bounce
right on denn!!!! happy to hear the progress,ave a good night amigo!
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 am

Yup! it's lookin good for the breakin and tour timetable.A few days to get the scoot all Tickety Boo and a couple neighbour hood sneaky rides and then insurance for the breakin.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakerattlenroll Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 am

Sweet man sweet Very Happy
Shakerattlenroll
Shakerattlenroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm

cheers bounce Very Happy

Well it came early.Got a call today,"Your motor is done"

Drove right down and picked it up.

[img]Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Tickin10[/img]

New pistons.

[img]Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Tickin11[/img]

He had the spun bushing saved for me.The wristpin was at 0.7895 (new ~ 0.791). The spun bushing was tapered from 0.808-0.8205.
I tried to get a feeler gauge reading on the slop but the gap was too big to bend a feeler into.I did manage to slip a safety pin in the gap about 1/4".

[img]Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Tickin12[/img]

So It's back in the frame ,shimmed and a few small parts reattached.

[img]Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Tickin13[/img]

Hopefully I've got it all together and heatcycled for a little ride to the Campbell River Swap on the 5th.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Dennis that is great news - really happy for you

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm

excellent amigo!!!! looks good sitting at home in your sickle!!! hats off and cheers to ya!!!!!!!!!
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zaac Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 pm

So please tell us. Does your torque adapter fit on them fancy base nuts?

Everything sure looks nice. Them forged pistons?
zaac
zaac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:12 pm

zaac wrote:So please tell us. Does your torque adapter fit on them fancy base nuts?

Everything sure looks nice. Them forged pistons?

I haven't tried mine yet.He showed me that a 7/16th box end wrench would fit on most of them w/ no modifying.He uses a torque adapter but I never saw it.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Mmmmmmm.......cream cheese!! sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 pm

sunnydog wrote:Mmmmmmm.......cream cheese!! sunny

My regular mornin fuel is a Bagel,Cream Cheese & 2 Pepperoni.Those lids fit perfect on the barrels.Forget sometimes and roll the motor over.They come off w/ quite a POP! Shocked
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 am

Looking good Dennis.
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  Roadhammer Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 pm

To quote the original outlaw Willie Nelson.... Im on the road again....yeehah! alien

Roadhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Roadhammer wrote:To quote the original outlaw Willie Nelson.... Im on the road again....yeehah! alien

Will be soon!That song has popped into my head a few times in the last couple days.
Willie seems to be popping up alot on the computer lately.I think the old outlaw turned 80 recently and he'd make a damn fine Gandalf in The Hobbit.

Now back to the shop.Time to install a couple heads.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Wed May 01, 2013 3:50 pm

He'd make a damn fine Gandalf if he could only grow a beard like yours Denn.
God Speed and to the shop with ye!!!!
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

The scoot is startin to look like a rider now cheers .Heads on w/ oil lines---Intake mounted solid---Primary and all attaching parts on---left floorboard attached.

One little glitch getting the primary guts in.Got it all buttoned up except for the cover.Sayin to myself "Good job,not too awkward a job this time".Go to asdjust the primary chain and notice the adjuster is on backwards. confused Forkin rookie!!! At least all my greased big bearings didn't fall outa the basket when I pulled the assembly to get it right.

Trying to get the rest of the parts on without having to worry scratch about bolt access is next.Carb,top motor mount /coil,pipes battery and R floorboard.Alot easier if I don't have something mounted out of order and have to use the long skinny fingers (forceps) to get the bolts/washers/nuts in place.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 am

One things fer sure, stay away from drunken when assembling your pig , you might turn pale when ya realize you dropped a cat into the motor then buttoned it all up. Your friends will think yer a clown for sure. sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 am

sunnydog wrote:One things fer sure, stay away from drunken when assembling your pig , you might turn pale when ya realize you dropped a cat into the motor then buttoned it all up. Your friends will think yer a clown for sure. sunny
No worries there drunken for me.I don't imbibe in the off riding season.Summer bike runs is when I get my fill.
Have you dropped a cat in your motor?The ones around here usually run from me.Must be my street hockey goalie training for defending the net w/ my feet.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Empty Very good news Den

Post  coopsta Fri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Man your motor looks sweet.......i like new pistons....well anything that is shiny grabs my attention lol.....good deal!!!
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 pm

coopsta wrote:Man your motor looks sweet.......i like new pistons....well anything that is shiny grabs my attention lol.....good deal!!!

When I first saw them ,I noticed the valve clearances in the domes were smaller than the old ones.The domes appeared to be flatter too.I checked the #s on the box and recognized it as the new pistons that S&S uses in the 88" kits now.
I found that replacement # when I was trying to find the comp. ratio of my old S&S 88" pistons.S&S now uses the Wiseco forged pistons.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sat May 04, 2013 8:49 am

Dennis i just got back from camp last night and am catching up

Are we a runner yet ???????????????

Dave
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 am

Big Dave wrote:Dennis i just got back from camp last night and am catching up

Are we a runner yet ???????????????

Dave

Getting so I can just about smell the exhaust & oily fingerprints burnin off.Air filter ,muffler,rightside tank and dash are left tro put on.Should get it all done and heat cycled today.Got a few house chores todo before (or after Wink ) the scoot.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakerattlenroll Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 pm

excellent news Very Happy
Shakerattlenroll
Shakerattlenroll

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Will one of you fellas tell that damn old rookie to stay the fuck away from my scoot.
Tried putting the battery in today.Went to hook up the ground and melted a wee spot in the terminal.Out w/ the voltmeter and start the search for the short.Figured that I might have pinched a wire setting the motor in.Went around and around trying to figure WTF.Finally figured ,after a check on the US site,that I'd swapped the leads on the solenoid.After getting that right and reattaching all the other wires that I'd disconnected,I gassed it up and hit the starter.She ROARed to life.Let it heat up for a few and now tomorrow I'll check torque on the head bolts.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Sun May 05, 2013 9:55 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace Sun May 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Woohoo...................glad you got it going.
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Empty The Weerier Is on the Road!

Post  Dennman Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm

After 3 heat cycles and no more head bolt movement ,I decided to take her out and put on a few miles.Got all geared up,warmed up the scoot ,pulled the clutch to kick her into 1st and the lever went limp Shocked

Off w/ the gear and check the cable-AOK!
Pull the inspection cover and all LOOKS good.
Readjust the center screw and find that I've previously locked the screw down at a tight spot in the threads and not when the screw has bottomed on the pushrod.
Did it right w/ the proper amount of backoff on the screw.

Gear up and off we go.Ran great for about 30 miles and started the odd CHUFF outa the carb when at a steady cruise.Figured I best take her home and do a little tightening on the carb clamps.Thinkin maybe w/ the new tight heads and pistons that a little fine tuning on the jets might be needed.
As I'm moving my gas line to get my inline filter off the barrel ,I pushed on the plug wire and LO & BEHOLD Idea ---The spark plug turned.It's a wonder that it didn't pop more w/ the plug finger tight.

The old Rookie strikes again.I hope he's done screwin w/ my scoot!!

[img]Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 May_2010[/img]
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Denistheshovelmenace Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Now that is looking good. Glad you have things going right.
Denistheshovelmenace
Denistheshovelmenace

Back to top Go down

Post  Shakerattlenroll Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Right on man , right on Very Happy
Shakerattlenroll
Shakerattlenroll

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 pm

woo hoo!!!!!! fricken a denn!!! cheers
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Looks great Denn, "...there she sits buddy just a gleamin' in the sun...there to greet a workin man when his day is done..."
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Dave Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm

bounce bounce bounce
Big Dave
Big Dave

Back to top Go down

Well Son of a Bitch & Every fuckin swear word that I'm to pissed to post! - Page 3 Empty The old Rookie!!

Post  coopsta Sat May 11, 2013 12:00 am

Its funny how when assembling you know better, but you just keep jumping from side to side putting things on in auto pilot, then you think you got it all finished cause your dying to get moving....LOL then you can't believe all the stuff that has been put on finger tight barely on or what have you....I think the only reason shit falls off these shovels has nothing to do with vibration and more to do with the "old rookies" in a big hurry lol....
By the way she looks great sitting out on the road again Den....good on ya!!!

Stringtwang
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am

coopsta wrote: Its funny how when assembling you know better, but you just keep jumping from side to side putting things on in auto pilot, then you think you got it all finished cause your dying to get moving....LOL then you can't believe all the stuff that has been put on finger tight barely on or what have you....I think the only reason shit falls off these shovels has nothing to do with vibration and more to do with the "old rookies" in a big hurry lol....
By the way she looks great sitting out on the road again Den....good on ya!!!

Stringtwang

If you saw the tight quarters that I wrench in ,you'd see that there's no "jumping from side to side" for me.It's more of the correct assemblage of parts on one side, so as not to be in the way of the fastening of other parts,when I push the scoot over 18" to work on the other side.Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle where some parts have to be mounted before others to make it easier to get wrenches,washers and nuts on.No fasteners left loose during assembly.The sparkplug was just put in finger tight, to keep crap outa the chamber,when getting it onto the barrel.The torqueing routine ,tedious as it is in my shop,distracted and mentally drained me at the time.It's been more years than I can remember anything falling off my scoot.I'd say most of the bolts on my scoot are strongarm overtorqued.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next