49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm

When we pulled my sliders off we found broken and missing parts for the dampeners
HD kit number 46161-49 would like to repair mine as i have new tubes and bushings are reamed for a good fit
Sunnys got some sliders but hoping to repair mine but of course all help / parts appreciated

Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I've got feelers out on the island for a set of the '49-'77 sliders for my scoot.Hittin the deer stripped the threads out in mine.I've redone the threads a couple times already.
Been runnin the same sliders since '82.I think they were actually old pan ones that one of the POs put on before he sold the scoot.I've always had bad recoil noise after the wheel does a sudden drop.
I thought about buyin new sliders, of the same style,but it appears the new old-style sliders have been "improved " w/ new style guts.I don't want to go to those Allen head fastening dampers.
I can't believe that someone out there doesn't have parts layin around after upgrading their front end to a later style.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Dennis Talk to Sunny you need em more then I do

Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Big Dave wrote:Dennis Talk to Sunny you need em more then I do

Dave
I thought you had already got sunny's.Dewey,from down Ladysmith way, is comin up sometime soon.I've got him lookin for a set.i'll see if he's had any luck then i'll check w/ Sunny.I had thought about uping the oil viscosity in the sliders from 30 to 40 before I hit that deer and fubared all the fender mount threads.
I've been putting this off for a few years.With all the attachments on my front end,it's a real nightmare getting it all spaced just right on the nacelle.That deer makes it a necessity now.Going to take everything off back to the neck and sevice the bearings and change out the bent & rattlein chrome.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  sunnydog on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Sorry I been so delinquent diggin these things out, I better do it and snap some photos for you guys...don't even know if they're what yer lookin for.
avatar
sunnydog

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2012-10-28
Age : 48
Location : Akimbo Alogo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Sonny maybe we can do both , I realy only need the dampner assem and if Dennis only needs the sliders we will both be good -fingers crossed
Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Big Dave wrote:Sonny maybe we can do both , I realy only need the dampner assem and if Dennis only needs the sliders we will both be good -fingers crossed
Dave
Oo!Oo! a win /win!!
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  sunnydog on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 am

I don't wanna get everybodys hopes up tooooo high here, I'm drunk, dirty, diggin thru a heap of shite in the alleyway, tryin to come up with somethin:suspect: 
avatar
sunnydog

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2012-10-28
Age : 48
Location : Akimbo Alogo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

sunnydog wrote:I don't wanna get everybodys hopes up tooooo high here, I'm drunk, dirty, diggin thru a heap of shite in the alleyway, tryin to come up with somethin:suspect: 
You're "Drunk & Dirty" don't ya know.
If we give ya:Weeds ,Whites and Wine ,show you a sign..... will ya be Willin ta keep on movin?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd7uah_little-feat-willin_music

I've run the Road Weerier/Slayer like this for 30 yrs. I'm just a little nervous when I hear that recoil bang.I had the damper keepers pull outa the tube bottoms back when I first went 4" over.
If I don't get a usable set of sliders,i'll be repairin the fender mounts w/ inserts and runnin heavier fork oil.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  kootenai on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:29 pm

just reading this and a light went off,,den ive got fender mount tabs,,a couple were hacked off,,and im sure I have a couple that are actual replacement tabs that you weld on,, I got em at a swap meet in ymir,,so I could weld em on my shaved lowers for the rigid,,,, so I could mount a fender to em,if you want to reweld new fender tabs on your existing sliders I can send em to ya.....
hope you and bren are doin well.
avatar
kootenai
Admin

Posts : 838
Join date : 2012-10-27
Location : british columbia

View user profile http://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  sunnydog on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Sounds like there's quite a few possibilities here!
I found what I got for lowers, they are Showa's, here's a pic, they're G592 80-L's...let me know if they'd be any use to ya Denn
avatar
sunnydog

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2012-10-28
Age : 48
Location : Akimbo Alogo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 pm

sunnydog wrote:Sounds like there's quite a few possibilities here!
I found what I got for lowers, they are Showa's, here's a pic, they're G592 80-L's...let me know if they'd be any use to ya Denn
Those are nice lookin sliders ....but not what i'm lookin for.The ones that I want have the big banana caliper mount on the left one, flat sided holes in the bottom for the dampers and machined steps at the top for caps.I'm thinkin those are the later shovel sliders.Did a little lookin in the parts manual for both the FLH and FXs.Couldn't find any Showas that look like yours. ...?????
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I know mine are Showa but are slightly different . ie: i don't have the reflectors on mine those might be off a wide glide . Are the dampners still in them ?
Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm

kootenai wrote:just reading this and a light went off,,den ive got fender mount tabs,,a couple were hacked off,,and im sure  I have a  couple that are actual replacement tabs that you weld on,, I got em at a swap meet in ymir,,so I could weld em on my shaved lowers for the rigid,,,, so I could mount a fender to em,if you want to reweld new fender tabs on your existing sliders I can send em to ya.....
hope you and bren are doin well.
Were maintaining here ,Koot.No worse for chores.

Appreciate the offer man but i don't have much faith in gettin a good welder to do a nice job or locate them in the right spot.The worn slider bushings don't make weldin tabs on worth while anyway.
I can make mine work w/ inserts and heavier lube.I just figured that as long as I'm strippin the front end off that I may as well try to locate a set w/ less miles on them.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  sunnydog on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Big Dave wrote:I know mine are Showa but are slightly different . ie: i don't have the reflectors on mine those might be off a wide glide . Are the dampners still in them ?
Dave
Damnit they don't Dave, they're just bare lowers. These are same as the Showa's on my '81.
avatar
sunnydog

Posts : 1749
Join date : 2012-10-28
Age : 48
Location : Akimbo Alogo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks Sunny not going to take your parts for the same of takin em
Will keep searching
Thanks again
Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Dennis do you remember off the top of your head if the bottom fork seals are just a fibre washer or is it a special HD part , hopeing to find something at the local hardware store I know there is a small gasket in the cup and a larger one under it
Thanks
Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Big Dave wrote:Dennis do you remember off the top of your head if the bottom fork seals are just a fibre washer or is it a special HD part , hopeing to find something at the local hardware store I know there is a small gasket in the cup and a larger one under it
Thanks
Dave
If you're referring to those two paper thin gaskets as the "bottom seals",I don't know what they're made of.I've reused the ones in mine many times over the years.Only had new back in the late 80s.There must be something similar in vintage auto parts..Doubt a hardware would have anything similar ;but ya never know.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:12 am

Dennman wrote:
Big Dave wrote:Dennis do you remember off the top of your head if the bottom fork seals are just a fibre washer or is it a special HD part , hopeing to find something at the local hardware store I know there is a small gasket in the cup and a larger one under it
Thanks
Dave
If you're referring to those two paper thin gaskets as the "bottom seals",I don't know what they're made of.I've reused the ones in mine many times over the years.Only had new back in the late 80s.There must be something similar in vintage auto parts..Doubt a hardware would have anything similar ;but ya never know.
Dennis ive got the paper gaskets in hand but cant figure out if they go in dry or do you coat them with something ?

PS i got some extras if you need

Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:56 am

Big Dave wrote:
Dennman wrote:
Big Dave wrote:Dennis do you remember off the top of your head if the bottom fork seals are just a fibre washer or is it a special HD part , hopeing to find something at the local hardware store I know there is a small gasket in the cup and a larger one under it
Thanks
Dave
If you're referring to those two paper thin gaskets as the "bottom seals",I don't know what they're made of.I've reused the ones in mine many times over the years.Only had new back in the late 80s.There must be something similar in vintage auto parts..Doubt a hardware would have anything similar ;but ya never know.
Dennis ive got the paper gaskets in hand but cant figure out if they go in dry or do you coat them with something ?

PS i got some extras if you need

Dave
Since I reuse mine they are usually soaked.I don't think it matters Dave.They will eventually get soaked.The pressure of assembly should keep them from weeping.

I may be lookin for some of those, Dave.Got my legs off now.Gotta redo the fender mount holes.Be alot easier disassembled.I wasn't gonna do that in case I buggered those seals.Will be pullin them down now.


Last edited by Dennman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Big Dave on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:59 am

Let me know Dennis i may have an extra set of top tube seals and wipers to

Dave
avatar
Big Dave

Posts : 542
Join date : 2012-11-06
Age : 60
Location : Lac La Biche , Alberta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Dennman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:08 am

Big Dave wrote:Let me know Dennis i may have an extra set of top tube seals and wipers to

Dave
I'm not runnin the stock top seal/felts in mine. Switched to James double lip seals a few years back and they still look good.
avatar
Dennman

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2012-10-31
Age : 68
Location : Courtenay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 49-77 FL damper tube assemblys

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum