48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunny some questions about picking and plunking

2 posters

Go down

Sunny some questions about picking and plunking Empty Sunny some questions about picking and plunking

Post  coopsta Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:03 pm

I seem to get a buzz quite a bit when playing, mostly comes from the fat "E", not to be confused with the "fatty"....When you are picking how hard do you attack the strings. I am trying to keep the pick from digging into the strings and rather flutter across them, if thats what you would call it. I don't seem to get that buzz on the other 5 strings but the fat E seems very sensitive.
Is this just something you have to feel out and get better at or is there something a newbie could be doing to adjust his "attack"?
Maybe you just have to be extra tight to the frets with that string to avoid the buzz?

Stringtwang affraid
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Sunny some questions about picking and plunking Empty Re: Sunny some questions about picking and plunking

Post  sunnydog Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Twang, I'd have to see it to be sure but sounds like you're gettin a secondary buzz because the E is self fretting somewhere further up the neck, it's often because the action of the strings is too low, due to it just being too low all the way along the length of the string, or the truss rod in the neck needs to be adjusted because there's an ever so slight 'bow' in the neck, i.e. the middle of the neck is bowed up.
Your truss rod adjust is under that plastic plate on the headstock, usually just an allen. typically its righty tighty to increase 'bow' and lefty to decrease 'bow'.
On Les Pauls, you can also slightly adjust overall action with those circular shaped adjusters on your tailpiece. Again, you may need to slightly lift the E side of your tailpiece.
On second thought, just send that piece of crap to me and get a good guitar. clown
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sunny some questions about picking and plunking Empty Re: Sunny some questions about picking and plunking

Post  sunnydog Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Far as attack goes on the strings, it all depends what you're playin for style...country western its a real abrupt and hard picking motion, and mute with your picking hand palm...rock ya just turn it up and let the amp do the work...remember VanHalen or Angus, half the time they're just fretting and not even pickin because the amp is so loud and pickups are sensitive as hell. You me an Koot are gonna have to find an axe or 2 somewhere south so we can session away... sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Sunny some questions about picking and plunking Empty yes you are probably right

Post  coopsta Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm

I did have the LP down to a music shop and the dude is a gibson dealer, I asked him to have a close look at the neck and he claimed the neck looked good and straight but I know he didn't put a measuring stick to the strings to verify their height in relation to the neck. I think I will just give that tail bar a little jack up and see if that makes any difference. Then I will give it a go on the truss rod. Maybe there is just a tad bit of a bow in her?
Thanks for the tips

Stringtwang buzzbang
coopsta
coopsta

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Believe me it can be extremely small amount that makes a diff, like part of a milimeter. What a Face
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down