48-84
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally a Sunny Day!

3 posters

Go down

Finally a Sunny Day! Empty Finally a Sunny Day!

Post  Dennman Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:58 pm

sunny Got in some good mileage today.Ran into a road check out in the boonies.BSn w/ the occifer about windshields and takin it easy on the breakin.Did the annual shakedown cruise to Kelsey Bay.[img]Finally a Sunny Day! June_210[/img]
Took one of the side connectors to the Island Hwy. #19.Thought I'd gone too far east when I saw these.
[img]Finally a Sunny Day! June_211[/img][img]Finally a Sunny Day! June_212[/img]
Great day for a ride.Now if I can just get the front exhaust pushrod to stop hitting it's cover at 55 mph.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Finally a Sunny Day! Empty Re: Finally a Sunny Day!

Post  sunnydog Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Nice ride Denn... is the pushrod hitting cover only at that rev in high gear?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 pm

awesome pics den,looks like a beautiful place to ride where you are..
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 pm

sunnydog wrote:Nice ride Denn... is the pushrod hitting cover only at that rev in high gear?

Cruisin in 4th at about 55mph is when I hear it most.It sounds like a tappin on thin/light metal.It's been happenin for years but seems more regular now.Hard to isolate when it only happens while moving at speed.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 pm

kootenai wrote:awesome pics den,looks like a beautiful place to ride where you are..
The scenery gets a little stale after ya see it time after time.Not many loops to do on the island.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:52 am

Another beauty day yesterday.Did a little mountain climbing yesterday to check out the carb for elevation cruisin.Went well.Pulled wfll uphill w/no bogging down from too rich a mix.
I had done a little pushrod cover honeing w/ my COB split stick and emery cloth tool.The TAPPING noise has decreased quite abit but a little more honeing is in order.
My thoughts as to why it is louder and more frequent now.The work (countersinking) that I did on the rocker arm spacers has changed the geometry and moved the angle of the pushrod in towards the rockerbox cvausing more contact on the cover than before.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am

So it's the pushrod touching the inside of the pushrod cover that's making that high freq tapping?
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 pm

sunnydog wrote:So it's the pushrod touching the inside of the pushrod cover that's making that high freq tapping?
Yup.
Lotsa fellas have this complaint.Hawg had the solution of bevelling the inner diameter of the upper tube and in severe cases to actually cut a little off the lower end of that tube.I found a much shorter one in my stash but assembled it wobbles too much on the engine to use.I think Hawg's instructions were to cut 1/8" off at a time until clearance is achieved.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Aha! Never knew of that fixup method...one of mine is a bit misshaped, I might have to take a harder look at it.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm

sunnydog wrote:Aha! Never knew of that fixup method...one of mine is a bit misshaped, I might have to take a harder look at it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right from The Guru Heself Hawg Ryder:
For the rubbing problem with the fatter alloy pushrods at the front exhaust covers:

You're right, it will rub at the bottom of the top section...in the middle area of the entire tube assembly. You can minimize this by removing the pushrod and taking the tube apart...pull the upper portion out of the bottom. Then cut 1/8" off the bottom of the upper portion. Once it's shortened, use a dremel or die grinder or even a rat-tail file to "bevel" the inside diameter of the bottom of that tube...you want to file away the inside edge all around the end, so it's angled and beveled down to a nice sharp (but smooth) edge. Believe it or not, that little bit of difference will cure 99% of the rubbing in most cases.
Says "fat alloy pushrods",which I use to have 25 yrs. ago.They rubbed alot. My S&S front exh. pushrod had the tell tale rub-ring on it from the end of the upper tube.Did a little more honeing on the tube and buffed out the rub mark on the pushrod.If it's still making contact the wear marks on both tube & pushrod will be evident.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Very cool, thanks for retrieving that Denn, I will take a look at mine, swear I hear a vibration at about 45 mph under acceleration, trying to isolate.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Still trying to eliminate the irritating tick.Gave the tube some serious round fileing and honeing again today.Marks showed up on both the tube and pushrod after a 100 mi. cruise yesterday.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennman Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

Finally got that noise eliminated.Took a short ride to pickup some new rocker end plugs. Exh. one on front rocker had the threads pulling off and weeping.Did an oil change (500 mi.) to 60 from 50.Now all I hear is the typical rythym of my solids tapping away.
The agressive round filing did the trick.
Dennman
Dennman

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Ha! Good job Denn...
Dad and I got the bikes out today for about 3 hours ride, great day.
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  kootenai Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 pm

sunnydog wrote:Ha! Good job Denn...
wish I wasn't in town today I woulda liked to have met yer dad,,,,,,,,,next time.. glad to hear the scoots,scootin along denn!!!!!
kootenai
kootenai
Admin

https://66-84.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnydog Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:38 am

kootenai wrote:
sunnydog wrote:Ha! Good job Denn...
wish I wasn't in town today I woulda liked to have met yer dad,,,,,,,,,next time.. glad to hear the scoots,scootin along denn!!!!!

When my pop's not around I look to you guys for advisement...Don't know how I'd make it without ya'll!! sunny
sunnydog
sunnydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down